Re: Are Anti-Virus Programmers Producing Most of the Viruses?

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 09/08/04

Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:18:09 GMT

"Bill Unruh" <unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca> wrote in message
news:chlb4v$kt2$1@nntp.itservices.ubc.ca...
> Rogermerriman@yahoo.com (wodger) writes:
>
> ]Vallant <UNIR241@munich.com> wrote:
>
> ]> After all,
> ]> 1.They know all about viruses.
> ]> 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
> ]> 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
> ]>
> ]> Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
> ]> at one of the software companies.....
> ]> Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
> ]> build a case against one person.
> ]>
> ]> What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
> ]> We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
> ]> all for granted.
>
> There are many things the media do not report on-- the fact that all of
the
> members of the Senate are actually aliens, the fact that cars really run
on
> the water vapour in the gasoline and there is no energy crisis, the fact
> that Hitler is alive and well and living in Kansas, etc.

I thought that was Elvis? ;o)

Anyway.. certain of the companies don't help their reputation by counting
"not seen in the wild" viruses - i.e. simple modifications of "standard" or
"what-if" code.

Not that I'm suggesting that these things are /released/.. still, it's
enough to make the more (cough) "wobbly" netizens take note ;o)

--
Hairy One Kenobi
in the first place. So there!