Re: Are Viruses Yesterday's News?

From: Ant (not_at_home.today)
Date: 09/06/04

Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 02:36:32 +0100

"Chuck" wrote...

> There have been a few folks posting recently about not needing AV protection,
> others think they don't need a firewall.

I may be one of them.

> They seem to think "safe hex" is the only protection needed.

That, and knowing at all times exactly what should be running on your
OS, why, and how to remove it if it shouldn't be there.

> They have apparently not read:
> <http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?date=2004-06-25>

I'm disappointed. I went there and found I've already read it. I'm
well aware of cross-zone scripting vulnerabilities in MS software.
That's why I have also tightened up the local computer zone, which is
not normaly visible in the Windows Internet Options property page.

I have almost been affected by these types of exploit, but because I'm
so familiar with my system, I immediately notice anything like this as
it happens and can kill it before it gets a hold.

> Edw, you need a good, layered defense. This includes a NAT (or better) router,
> software firewall, AV, Spyware, and Trojan protection, and regular application
> and system updates. Don't let the safe hex advocates convince you otherwise.

That's good advice. Most people are users, and not actually "in the
trade" as it were.

> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

In my experience, the older you get and the more you understand about
computing and your OS, the less paranoid you become.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Need Firewall?
    ... need a software firewall like Comodo or ZoneAlarm anymore? ... but I disable the hardware firewall and use the ... Relative to a software firewall like ZoneAlarm, ... can be accessed across the network. ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: OT Antivirus / firewall
    ... The protection ... offered by the AVG firewall is completely non-existent. ... As does the Windows XP SP2 software firewall. ...
    (uk.sport.football.clubs.liverpool)
  • Re: Do I need a firewall?
    ... > also saw a statement by Microsoft to the effect that the XP firewall ... A software firewall is paper, a hardware one, reinforced ... not installing SP2 is like turning down free aftermarket ... > fitment of side impact airbags to your old car.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Need Firewall?
    ... need a software firewall like Comodo or ZoneAlarm anymore? ... but I disable the hardware firewall and use the ... Says someone who didn't know personal computer homebuilders buy OEM ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Re: NT 4 server firewall?
    ... But the firewall doesn't protect you from this. ... >> available for securing said server. ... A software firewall on a SQL server would NOT in any ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)