Re: [OT] Rebooting XP system - seeking utilities

From: Eric Gisin (ericgisin_at_graffiti.net)
Date: 09/01/04

Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:56:52 -0700

"Maerko" <nomail@mail.com> wrote in message
news:9557E1D469897471AE@127.0.0.1...

> Maybe one of these tools has made my registry now look for a non-
> existent program on bootup because the boot sequence keeps on
> looping. XP gets past the XP welcome screen (which is set to
> autologon) but even before the desktop icons appear, XP logs itself
> off. And then on and off and on. Etc.

Your system is booting. WinLogon is not launching explorer, or explorer is
exiting.

> (1) Is there a way to get such a rebooting XP system to stop its
> boot sequence and to put up an error message when it can't find a
> particular program?

Try booting (using F8) to Safe Mode - command prompt. You can launch most GUI
apps, like regedit and eventvwr.

> (2) I have two XP partitions in one machine. One is old and the
> other is the failing partition which keeps rebooting. Is there a
> registry editor which I can run on the *old* XP partition and then
> edit the registry in the *other* failing partition?

You can load registry hives from system32\config using regedt32.

> It's perhaps the sort of tool which might be used for manual removal
> of malware.
>
> (3) Is there a tool which tells you what programs are called to run
> at XP's startup (like 'StartUpList' or 'HijackThis') but not for the
> same partition that as program runs in but for *another* XP
> partition?

Unlikely, too specific.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [OT] Rebooting XP system - seeking utilities
    ... WinLogon is not launching explorer, ... Try booting to Safe Mode - command prompt. ... > other is the failing partition which keeps rebooting. ... You can load registry hives from system32\config using regedt32. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Hive based Registry in IXDP425
    ... The Switching into DataCoherent mode. ... Using RAM-based registry. ... The total booting take no more than 15 ...
  • Re: Document Folder shows on screen when XP boots
    ... You can also edit the registry by booting the machine with a Bart's PE disk or an Ultimate Boot CD for Windows. ... What are the steps to reverse the change in the Registry? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: HELP! Windows XP Home logs off immediately - copying userinit.exe doesnt fix it!
    ... Open the registry on the system that is causing you ... I get a popup error box "Error Connecting Network ... > FYI, I have also tried booting to Safemode, and get the same results ... > when trying to login, i.e., it just logs off. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: How do I get rid of it? - Still Got It...
    ... Message" carrying the title of the respective item booting up. ... type the name of the file into the search pane. ... delete the reference to the file. ... to the Desktop and it'll be added to the registry again. ...