Re: Getting rid of program loaded from website

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 08/31/04

Date: 31 Aug 2004 11:40:08 -0500

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 10:02:34 -0400, Edw. Peach <bogus_addie@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:50:32 +0100, Someone <me@here.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Depends what it is. Are there any specific names appearing anywhere -
>>like for example are you always taken to a certain website?
>
>No, I do not get re-directed. As I stated, I use Firefox as my
>default browser, and in fact IE does not have access to the internet
>unless I specify, on a per visit basis. What is odd is that I get two
>windows open in Firefox of my intended site, and then About:Blank in
>Internet Explorer, even though I have IE set to ask permission to go
>online. I ran my AV yesterday and found no viruses.
>
>Later today, I'll try running Ad-Aware and Spybot again and see if
>those programs show up again.

Edw,

If this involves about:blank, HijackThis
<http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155> and expert advice might be a
good idea.

Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
downloaded file there. Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes
immediately. Save the HJT Log.
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and post it, or a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

Also, Edw, please don't contribute to the spread and success of email address
mining viruses. Your munging technique needs improvement.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck

  • Re: Ad-Aware software
    ... >downloaded Ad-Aware it found a tun of items in my registry ... Plus, if you have any specific symptoms, HijackThis and expert ... following security forums (and post it, or a link to your forum posts, here): ... Spyware Info: ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: security problem? - spw9a message
    ... If neither AdAware or Spybot S&D provide results, try HijackThis. ... following security forums (and post a link to your forum posts, ... Spyware Info: ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: security problem? - spw9a message
    ... If neither AdAware or Spybot S&D provide results, try HijackThis. ... following security forums (and post a link to your forum posts, ... Spyware Info: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: security problem? - spw9a message
    ... If neither AdAware or Spybot S&D provide results, try HijackThis. ... following security forums (and post a link to your forum posts, ... Spyware Info: ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: IE6 SP2 crashes with mshtml.dll
    ... IE crashes more frequently than Firefox. ... you've posted wrong Hijackthis version. ... Please do not suggest me automatic updates, ... Google Web-access isn't too bad for newsgroups. ...