Re: MS Updates compromise LAN ?

From: Richard S. Westmoreland (richardsw_at_suscom.net)
Date: 08/27/04

    Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:48:01 -0400

    <hacked @oh-shoot.com> wrote in message
    news:csjui09elfb12sdmdr1m5t5uee711470fl@4ax.com...

    > Now hear this..
    >
    > Recently.. ran SP4 on some Win2k servers and workstations.. and a
    > number of UPDATES as identified in `Windows Update' function. Nineteen
    > in all.. however pulled LAN cable this time (after download phase).
    >
    > It took a LONG TIME to complete 19 updates.. and then after reboot.. 9
    > more updates.. some of them the SAME. This indicates updates cannot
    > complete unless reporting outside the local network.
    >
    > Due to this.. I'd suggest that MS Updates can compromise your LAN !!

    One of the reasons I don't use Windows Update. I always hand pick my
    updates. Currently SP4 and the critical updates for the RPC exploit and
    LSASS exploit (apart of MS04-011) is all you really need to be safe(er).
    All of the updates in the world isn't a replacement for a good Personal
    Firewall software, Antivirus, and Email filter.

    --
    Richard S. Westmoreland
    http://www.antisource.com

    • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
      ... but my systems have *never* had an issue in 9 years obtaining and installing updates from WU/MU save for updates to Word and Excel Viewers. ... the ZA clean uninstall, and before reinstalling, I again tried Windows update with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... It's little surprise that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently intentionally abuses its effective monopolistic position through practices such as unreasonably preventing competing web browsers from accessing Windows updates. ... Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls - Enable ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
    • Re: HELP!!! SYSTEM CORRUPT AFTER 10/10/06 WINDOWS UPDATE
      ... days before the latest windows update, the system is about maxed out as it is ... Can the updates be removed VIA the Add/Remove programs? ... As for antivirus solutions... ... (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/) ...
    • Re: HELP!!! SYSTEM CORRUPT AFTER 10/10/06 WINDOWS UPDATE
      ... days before the latest windows update, the system is about maxed out as it is ... Can the updates be removed VIA the Add/Remove programs? ... As for antivirus solutions... ... (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/) ...
    • Re: HELP!!! SYSTEM CORRUPT AFTER 10/10/06 WINDOWS UPDATE
      ... days before the latest windows update, the system is about maxed out as it is ... Can the updates be removed VIA the Add/Remove programs? ... As for antivirus solutions... ... (Free Online Scanner: http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/) ...
    • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
      ... obtaining and installing updates from WU/MU save for updates to Word and ... with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently ... There are many situations where Zone Alarm does *not* uninstall ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)