MS Updates compromise LAN ?

_at_oh-shoot.com
Date: 08/27/04

Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:21:34 -0400

Now hear this..

Recently.. ran SP4 on some Win2k servers and workstations.. and a
number of UPDATES as identified in `Windows Update' function. Nineteen
in all.. however pulled LAN cable this time (after download phase).

It took a LONG TIME to complete 19 updates.. and then after reboot.. 9
more updates.. some of them the SAME. This indicates updates cannot
complete unless reporting outside the local network.

Due to this.. I'd suggest that MS Updates can compromise your LAN !!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... but my systems have *never* had an issue in 9 years obtaining and installing updates from WU/MU save for updates to Word and Excel Viewers. ... the ZA clean uninstall, and before reinstalling, I again tried Windows update with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... It's little surprise that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently intentionally abuses its effective monopolistic position through practices such as unreasonably preventing competing web browsers from accessing Windows updates. ... Automatic prompting for ActiveX controls - Enable ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... obtaining and installing updates from WU/MU save for updates to Word and ... with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently ... There are many situations where Zone Alarm does *not* uninstall ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Cant access Windows Update, no error code
    ... with the same problem of Windows update failing recurring. ... that there is such widespread animosity against Microsoft when it apparently ... install critical updates for my computer, one-by-one, a practical solution? ... ZA's sloppy uninstall routine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Windows Vista update
    ... I am struglged all day with trying to install VISTA service pack 1. ... But Check for Updates did not suggest `Service Pack 1`. ... Exit the command prompt and try Windows Update again. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Latest Ed Fosters Gripeline...
    ... The Reader Advocate Column ... Windows Updates and Software Ownership ... the Windows Update software itself -- need to be installed if the update ... starting with the litany of buggy releases Microsoft has foisted on us ...
    (sci.research.careers)