Re: Sending and Receiving my own mail!

From: ExSponge (blank_at_blankenship.com)
Date: 08/23/04

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:21:43 -0500

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:18:23 GMT, Kleeb <kleeb@kleeb.kleeb> wrote:

>On 2004-08-23, Phil <trustus@ntlworld.com> schrieb :
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Simple question but with a complex answer I bet.
>>
>> When I send and receive mail, like most, it travels via my ISP - so in
>> essence they can keep a log of all mail coming and going from my account.
What you have today via your ISP is a user account and they do store your
messages until you retrieve them via your mail program. They also do keep a
copy for a finite period of time.
>> Is it possible to set up my own mail server, say on another machine at
home
>> with a separate internet connection, so that it deals with my mail and
sends
>> it direct rather than going through my ISP?
>> Is it possible?
Yep. The key will be to have a separate/different type of internet
connection. In order to have SMTP traffic sent directly to a server of
your choosing you will need to own and control the domain. This will allow
you to assign a dedicated IP address to yourdomain.com (the A record) so IP
packets (mail or otherwise) know how to find you.
Check out http://www.dyndns.org/support/ for more info.