Re: Sending and Receiving my own mail!

From: ExSponge (blank_at_blankenship.com)
Date: 08/23/04

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:21:43 -0500

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:18:23 GMT, Kleeb <kleeb@kleeb.kleeb> wrote:

>On 2004-08-23, Phil <trustus@ntlworld.com> schrieb :
>> Hi all.
>>
>> Simple question but with a complex answer I bet.
>>
>> When I send and receive mail, like most, it travels via my ISP - so in
>> essence they can keep a log of all mail coming and going from my account.
What you have today via your ISP is a user account and they do store your
messages until you retrieve them via your mail program. They also do keep a
copy for a finite period of time.
>> Is it possible to set up my own mail server, say on another machine at
home
>> with a separate internet connection, so that it deals with my mail and
sends
>> it direct rather than going through my ISP?
>> Is it possible?
Yep. The key will be to have a separate/different type of internet
connection. In order to have SMTP traffic sent directly to a server of
your choosing you will need to own and control the domain. This will allow
you to assign a dedicated IP address to yourdomain.com (the A record) so IP
packets (mail or otherwise) know how to find you.
Check out http://www.dyndns.org/support/ for more info.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MX and A records?
    ... to answer your questions about the ISP hosting the mail, ... could be getting the mail or the clients could POP to the ISP. ... an A records, CNAME, MX records are all different types of DNS records. ... >> mail server or firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.setup)
  • Re: Any DNS gurus here?
    ... mail-server, as well as handling mail for its own domain, it relays mail ... It goes to the ISP then to your mail server ... It sounds more like a mailserver config issue than DNS to me. ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: URGENT - No incoming mail
    ... Looks like your an open relay, if your isp queues your emails, just block ... also if you use smarthost then you might be blocked by your isp, ... >> I don't believe that there is any more risk in sending via DNS instead of ... >> of an ISP's mail server being blocked than your server. ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: I keep getting blocked by Comcast
    ... Do you have a Business Static IP account from your ISP or is it Residential? ... I would suggest the Smarthost option as this point as your ISP mail server IP range are mostly whitelisted and would allow the mail to go through. ... characteristics of spam. ... Comcast give a reason as why they are blocking you? ...
    (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
  • Re: Setting-up virtual hosts and email addresses on Linux
    ... >I'm setting up a web server, and though I know how to do virtual hosts ... >mail server really)? ... you simply create a user account for him. ... works regardless of the number of hosts or domains you have. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)