Re: Is wuauclt.exe a virus or trojan?

From: Quaoar (quaoar_at_tenthplanet.net)
Date: 08/21/04

Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 09:24:29 -0600

Chris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an XP Pro SP1 system and yesterday I noticed the appearance of
> the update windows icon in the task bar (bottom right). This is weird
> because I have used Windows for 2 years and this icon never appeared.
>
> I noticed there are 2 wuauclt.exe programs running in the Task
> Manager. If I delete them, they come back automatically. Also when I
> double-click the Update icon, the Update window does not look familiar
> to me (could be a copy of the real window). If I click Cancel in this
> window, it is minimized but stay in the tray...
>
> What do you think? I check my PC with Kaspersky updated and it
> detects nothing...
>
> Thank you for your help
>
> Chris

Windows XP Service Pack 2 is being released through Windows Update.
What you are seeing is the auto notification icon that SP2 is available.
SP2 is accessed through Windows Update Version 5 which is the new update
site that you see. You can verify the site for yourself by selecting
Windows Update from the Internet Explorer Tools Menu.

  • Re: SP2 Totally Screwed up My Computer!
    ... can't uninstall and install it again (missing all ... Finally I may need to reinstall XP on Slipstreamed XP SP2 CD. ... An icon for Windows Media Player ...
  • Re: SP2 Totally Screwed up My Computer!
    ... can't uninstall and install it again (missing all ... Finally I may need to reinstall XP on Slipstreamed XP SP2 CD. ... An icon for Windows Media Player ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SP2 Totally Screwed up My Computer!
    ... can't uninstall and install it again (missing ... >> The SP2 installation didn't give me any choices, ... An icon for Windows Media Player ...
  • Re: SP2 Totally Screwed up My Computer!
    ... can't uninstall and install it again (missing ... >> The SP2 installation didn't give me any choices, ... An icon for Windows Media Player ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • SP2 Totally Screwed up My Computer!
    ... As I wasn't seeing SP2 on the Windows Update site, ... (As I have two computers, ... figured that way I wouldn't have to download it twice through Windows Update ... I don't want an icon for it in the QL bar. ...