Re: Are WAV files dangerous?

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 08/16/04

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:40:39 GMT

"Thor Kottelin" corrected me with the reply of the "x-wav exploit" which is a buffer
overflow vulnerability. So it has been stated.

Dave

"Tim H." <tekphobia@comcast.net> wrote in message news:SsRTc.297727$JR4.21178@attbi_s54...

| "Franky" <franklin_lo@mail.com> wrote in message
| > I am aware that some MP3s can exploit weaknesses in the player.
| > Eg. Winamp 2.81 http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/303934
| >
| > But can a WAV file also be dangerous? Using Google, only a few
| > people say 'yes'. So is this just a myth?
|
| Not sure why no one else mentioned this...
|
| If a program has unchecked data buffers, then it's susceptible to buffer
| overflows. And if a jpeg, wav or mp3 contains data to exploit that overflow,
| then yes, a wav file COULD be dangerous. The file itself isn't dangerous,
| only when used with the program it's trying to exploit.
|
| -Tim
|

| > If a WAV is actually dangerous then does AVG have the ability to
| > detect bad WAVs?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Are WAV files dangerous?
    ... "Thor Kottelin" corrected me with the reply of the "x-wav exploit" which is a buffer ... And if a jpeg, wav or mp3 contains data to exploit that overflow, ... a wav file COULD be dangerous. ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Buffer overflows in ircII-based clients
    ... I had been pretty sure for years that malicious servers can ... This means that these clients are safe when they're connected to standard ... buffer in stack if channel name is large enough. ... That alone can overflow the buffer. ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [NEWS] Multiple IBM DB2 Vulnerabilities
    ... crash the server and run arbitrary machine code. ... IBM DB2 db2fmp buffer overflow: ... overly parameter to the db2fmp binary will overflow a stack based buffer. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • HP Radia Notify Daemon: Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
    ... HP Radia Notify Daemon: Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities ... This RADEXECD component is a small server ... In a typical configuration this vulnerability may be ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • [Full-disclosure] HP Radia Notify Daemon: Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
    ... HP Radia Notify Daemon: Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities ... This RADEXECD component is a small server ... In a typical configuration this vulnerability may be ...
    (Full-Disclosure)