Re: Administrator account

From: Tim Lister (t.lister4NoSpam_at_ntlworldNoSpamPlease.com)
Date: 08/10/04

Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 23:55:40 GMT

Jimmie Moberg wrote:

> Jbob this is partly right anyway... if you dont use the "welcome screen" but
> instead use the ordinary login box u dont have to use safe mode to login as
> administrator...
> otherwise i think you are very correct in your statement =D
>
> "Jbob" <nobody@SpamCox.net> skrev i meddelandet
>
>>"Tim Lister" <t.lister4NoSpam@ntlworldNoSpamPlease.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
>>>account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
>>>obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
>>>into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
>>>Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
>>>present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
>>>Thanks in advance again!
>>

>>I think this was one of MS's ideas at fixing a big problem with the NT
>
> based
>
>>OS's. Many people simply used the default user acount(which also happened
>>to be the Admin account) as their normal account. The problem with this
>
> is
>
>>is for some reason they lose the password or the account becomes corrupted
>>somehow there are very few ways to get back into the OS to fix it short of

>>reload. MS decided to hide the default admin account so it was only seen
>>during a Safe Boot in Windows XP. This way you had to create a normal
>
> user
>
>>acount for yourself while still preserving the default Admin account.
>
> Most
>
>>system admins always maintain 2 admin accounts in case one gets hosed.
>
> You
>
>>can adjust the registry to show this during normal boot as well or use the
>>Powertoys utility to set it to show. FWIW your admin accounts should
>
> have
>
>>fairly hard passwords or at the very least all the accounts that have full
>>admin rights.

Thanks guys! It's really nice to be able to ask experts about these
things that niggle away at me!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Help! Registry rights!!!
    ... Safe Mode runs with limited drivers, which in itself can help..but from the ... Then, open regedit from the 'run' command..I know, here goes that registry ... rights and permisions are assigned through share and/or NTFS settings. ... Install the software from the admin account, ...
  • Re: Error 1402 - Registry Permissions Issue
    ... :o) Home has nothing to do with your privileges. ... How to boot into Safe Mode: ... >> admin account as this is being written to Local Machine. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP dead in Safe Mode
    ... How interesting......Have you tried to gain access to the Admin Account in ... Press Control/Alt/Delete Twice for Pro and Boot into safe mode and login for ... TweakUI/Logon/Show Administrator on the Welcome Screen ... 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Forgotton Password
    ... Boot into the System Admin account and either remove it or reset it. ... On Home, boot to Safe Mode, and logon. ... TweakUI/Logon/Show Administrator on the Welcome Screen ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Administrator account
    ... instead use the ordinary login box u dont have to use safe mode to login as ... > to be the Admin account) as their normal account. ...
    (alt.computer.security)