Re: Administrator account

From: Jbob (nobody_at_SpamCox.net)
Date: 08/08/04

    Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 09:41:29 -0500

    "Tim Lister" <t.lister4NoSpam@ntlworldNoSpamPlease.com> wrote in message
    news:G9TQc.398$hm1.65@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net...
    > Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
    > account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
    > obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
    > into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
    > Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
    > present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
    > Thanks in advance again!

    I think this was one of MS's ideas at fixing a big problem with the NT based
    OS's. Many people simply used the default user acount(which also happened
    to be the Admin account) as their normal account. The problem with this is
    is for some reason they lose the password or the account becomes corrupted
    somehow there are very few ways to get back into the OS to fix it short of a
    reload. MS decided to hide the default admin account so it was only seen
    during a Safe Boot in Windows XP. This way you had to create a normal user
    acount for yourself while still preserving the default Admin account. Most
    system admins always maintain 2 admin accounts in case one gets hosed. You
    can adjust the registry to show this during normal boot as well or use the
    Powertoys utility to set it to show. FWIW your admin accounts should have
    fairly hard passwords or at the very least all the accounts that have full
    admin rights.

    • Re: Unable to login to XP Home
      ... Both Administrator account and user's account do the ... >>same thing in safe mode. ... > Set the BIOS to boot CD before Hard Disk. ... > Then you can reboot and delete the wpaupdater.exe file ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Deleted admin account by mistake
      ... "Shenan Stanley" wrote: ... You could also boot into Safe Mode and perform the steps there. ... You cannot delete the built-in administrator account. ...
    • Re: Incoming E-Mail - cant create contact in OU
      ... central admin pool different than the web app. ... that account a little (if the web app is compromised or something, ... So I started with giving the app pool account domain admins permissions then ...
    • Re: Cannot open computer
      ... I cannot get into safe mode as I keep getting the message that the system ... Trying to boot into the command prompt gets the same result as everything ... Once the window of Local Users and Groups pops up, ... You did not highlight the account to be used for the automatic ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Bad XP problem
      ... > This has to do with a lost admin password in XP. ... The PC won't boot, it ... > protected files for the owner's account. ... Doesn't sound promising. ...
      (sci.electronics.repair)