ports that listen-newbie questions

From: Tim Lister (t.lister4NoSpam_at_ntlworldNoSpamPlease.com)
Date: 08/06/04

Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 21:37:31 GMT

    Please forgive my ignorance but I'm trying to learn about the
various ports that are described as being in a state of listening on my
windows xp system. From time to time, the OS requests to connect to my
ISP's domain name servers out of the blue (ie, not when trying to
resolve a ns lookup) & I was just wondering whether anybody here could
tell me what the OS is trying to do (I think that it's described as a
generic host process when it asks to connect)?
     I've also noticed that my Epsom printer status program (that
provides me with neat little pictorial representations of the amount of
ink that I have remaining!)also regualarly listens on a port & again I'm
just curious as to why it should want to do that as I'm using a
stand-alone machine which I've configured to ensure that I'm not sharing
my printer or hard drive, yet the status utility listens on a port!
    Aside from my curiosity as to what's happening, I'm also wondering
whether having these ports listening is good from a security standpoint?
    Thanks in advance for any answers & for your pateince.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: 160 open connections!
    ... >> Thanks for a reminder on why I do not use Windows systems:) ... ports are rather a bug in Windows' netstat-tool, ... to be certain of what ports are actually listening. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Advice re PC Maclan.
    ... Ports 135 epmap and 515 printer are open and both ... The fact that 139 is closed on the Windows end is ... the machine is actually listening on 139! ... Active Connections ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Advice re PC Maclan.
    ... Ports 135 epmap and 515 printer are open and both ... The fact that 139 is closed on the Windows end is ... the machine is actually listening on 139! ... Active Connections ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Starting iptables
    ... it is not clear that you need a firewall at all. ... just don't open any ports. ... "netstat -putl" will let you find out what listening ports are open. ... mysql is listening on tcp port 3306. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: dcdiag, netdiag results
    ... There are no replication errors, all ports that should be listening are listening. ... If I add user on Windows 2008 DC it is replicated to the Windows 2003 DC. ...