Re: IE Browser redirection

From: Jay T. Blocksom (not.deliverable+USENET_at_appropriate-tech.net)
Date: 07/25/04

Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 02:19:11 -0400

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:51:26 GMT, in <alt.privacy.spyware>, "Del Reedy"
<delreedy@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm having a problem with IE6.
>
> When I attempt to connect to any website with IE6, at the bottom
> it says "attempting to connect to 127.0.0.1", then I get the error:
> "The page cannot be displayed"
>
> After doing some google research I think this is possibly the result of
> of a partially uninstalled pop-up blocking program (which I wouldn't
> know the name of).

    [snip]

*IF* that's really the case, then it's an easy fix and nothing to worry about
really. But I'm a bit concerned by the fact that you apparently don't even
know what software you'e been installing and uninstalling on that system, even
relatively recently, since this problem would have cropped up more-or-less
immediately upon the bad uninstallation.

Follow the instructions you'll find here:

<http://www.cas.org/Support/blast/win/ieproxy.html>

to bring up MSIE's "Local Area Network Settings".

Note the checkbox marked as (2) in the first illustration under "Step C". If
you are *not* using a local proxy server (such as The Proxomitron, for
example), you want to make sure that box is UNchecked. If you *are* using
Proxo (or similar), then it should be checked; but Item (6) in the next
illustration MUST point to Proxo, not the now-missing Mystery PopUp Blocker.

That *should* get you back to web-browsing.

HOWEVER...

If you value the health and safety of your system, you *will* remove MSIE
entirely, and install a *decent* browser, such as K-Meleon, Mozilla Firefox,
or (some versions of) Opera. Here are some handy tools to make that task
relatively painless:

    <http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html>
    <http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html>
    <http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html>

Pick whichever is appropriate to your system/needs, and go for it.

--
Jay T. Blocksom
--------------------------------

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IE Browser redirection
    ... Note the checkbox marked as in the first illustration under "Step C". ... illustration MUST point to Proxo, not the now-missing Mystery PopUp Blocker. ... If you value the health and safety of your system, ... "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: consequences of skepticism of evolution theory
    ... "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary ... deserve neither liberty nor safety." ... ~Benjamin Franklin ... Harry K ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Who were our ancients?
    ... My mind boggles at the people who see some object from ancient times ... a relatively low level of technology and science. ... "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary ... deserve neither liberty nor safety." ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: OT: The coffin is about to get nailed shut
    ... "Any people that would give up liberty for a little temporary safety ... Let them take arms. ... Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J. ...
    (rec.scuba)