IE Browser redirection

From: Del Reedy (delreedy_at_earthlink.net)
Date: 07/17/04

Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 20:51:26 GMT

Hi

I'm having a problem with IE6.

When I attempt to connect to any website with IE6, at the bottom
it says "attempting to connect to 127.0.0.1", then I get the error:
"The page cannot be displayed"

After doing some google research I think this is possibly the result of
of a partially uninstalled pop-up blocking program (which I wouldn't
know the name of).

There is a registry entry (below) which I think directs all of Internet
Explorer's http requests to a proxy server on the localhost. Although
nothing seems to be listening on 8080, which explains the blank page.

Hijackthis shows the following entry

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer
= http=localhost:8080

Which I suspect is the reason why, when I open IE it tries to connect to
127.0.0.1.

If I delete the registry entry above it gets written back the next time I
open IE.

If I delete the entry above and immediately rescan with hijackthis a few new
ones appear:

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/redir.dll?prd={SUB_PRD}&clcid={SUB_CLSID}&pver={SUB_PVER}&ar=home
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
http://ie.search.msn.com/{SUB_RFC1766}/srchasst/srchcust.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings,ProxyOverride = <local>

Even if I delete the new ones, later when I run IE the original one will get
written back.

So the problem is that I can't seem to get rid of this entry, and it's
driving me crazy.

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer
= http=localhost:8080

What can I do to prevent this or discover the program that is changing the
registry entries?

Thanks in advance.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: IE Browser redirection
    ... > I'm having a problem with IE6. ... > There is a registry entry which I think directs all of Internet ... > If I delete the registry entry above it gets written back the next time I ... > If I delete the entry above and immediately rescan with hijackthis a few new ...
  • Re: IE Browser redirection
    ... > I'm having a problem with IE6. ... > There is a registry entry which I think directs all of Internet ... > If I delete the registry entry above it gets written back the next time I ... > If I delete the entry above and immediately rescan with hijackthis a few new ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: IE Browser redirection
    ... > I'm having a problem with IE6. ... > There is a registry entry which I think directs all of Internet ... > If I delete the registry entry above it gets written back the next time I ... > If I delete the entry above and immediately rescan with hijackthis a few new ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: IE Browser redirection
    ... > I'm having a problem with IE6. ... > There is a registry entry which I think directs all of Internet ... > If I delete the registry entry above it gets written back the next time I ... > If I delete the entry above and immediately rescan with hijackthis a few new ...
    (microsoft.public.security)