Re: BIOS wiped out - is it a virus?

From: Stephen Howard (seesigfor_at_email.uk)
Date: 07/16/04

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 13:13:34 +0100

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:04:27 +0100, Simon@d.j wrote:

>I left my PC (win98se OS) online last night, with Kerio personal
>firewall active. I turned PC off about 5 am and re-booted at 9 am.
>
>However, when I rebooted, the BIOS was completely wiped and I've spent
>the last hour configuring it. PC /SEEMS/ to be ok. I ran F-PROT on it to
>check for viruses. Got the all clear. Also there's no apps runnig that
>shouldn't be AFAICT.
>
>This has never happened before. Bit puzzled to be honest. Bad luck or a
>virus? Any help suggestions appreciated. TIA

Sounds like bad luck, given that you were able to reboot and get into
the bios on default settings.
I've had it happen a couple of times, and in both cases the mains
power had winked out during boot up.

Have a scout round the web and find a bios backup utility, saves a lot
of time...and check you have virus protection enabled in the bios ( if
it has that function ).

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk