Re: Startup password ?

From: Mr Nobody (me_at_privacy.net)
Date: 07/04/04

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:50:38 +0100

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 05:54:59 +0100, "Mike" <no_reply@please.com> wrote:

>Anyone heard of this. Is it more secure than the BIOS and login passwords
>(which aren't secure) - search for security continues. Found the following
>instructions in another ng:
>
>'Start Menu, Run, Type:
>syskey
>press enter.
>
>A dialog box will appear
>"Securing the Windows Account Database"
>Click [Update]
>Select
>(o) Password Startup
>Type and confirm the password. Click [OK].
>
>Warning:
>If You forget the password, You MUST reinstall Windows (that means CLEAN)'.

That seems to mean that reinstalling Windows lets you in. What do they
mean by 'CLEAN'? I doubt it means 'wiping' the HD as that isn't a
standard Windows function so you would be able to recover (some) data
after the procedure.

What's the matter with OTF encryption? It is transparent to the user.

--
Mr Nobody

Relevant Pages

  • Re: format c drive
    ... Better to use the relevant link already provided below for the purpose ... instructions will be a lot less than a clean install. ... "How To Restore or Reinstall Microsoft Windows on a Dell Computer" ... explain how to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows xp. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
  • Re: Can we talk to Microsoft ?
    ... Just do it and follow the instructions. ... Testy ... > I need to reinstall windows xp from the CD. ... > Tried to email Microsoft but they wanted me to log on and ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Setup
    ... Setup encountered an error while trying to set system ... I am getting this error on a Gateway computer tring to ... reinstall Windows xp home. ...
  • hal.dll
    ... ways to fix it and I found some instructions for using the "Repair Console" ... I was asked for the Administrator password but my PC ... That's why I had to reinstall Windows to fix the problem. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Dont know how to restore pc to factory settings.
    ... Do you have any instructions that were supplied with it? ... How are any disks that were supplied to you labeled? ... > Computer Friend left country for three weeks. ... >> to reinstall Windows by yourself, seek some help from your friend. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)