Re: Startup password ?

From: Mr Nobody (me_at_privacy.net)
Date: 07/04/04

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 10:50:38 +0100

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 05:54:59 +0100, "Mike" <no_reply@please.com> wrote:

>Anyone heard of this. Is it more secure than the BIOS and login passwords
>(which aren't secure) - search for security continues. Found the following
>instructions in another ng:
>
>'Start Menu, Run, Type:
>syskey
>press enter.
>
>A dialog box will appear
>"Securing the Windows Account Database"
>Click [Update]
>Select
>(o) Password Startup
>Type and confirm the password. Click [OK].
>
>Warning:
>If You forget the password, You MUST reinstall Windows (that means CLEAN)'.

That seems to mean that reinstalling Windows lets you in. What do they
mean by 'CLEAN'? I doubt it means 'wiping' the HD as that isn't a
standard Windows function so you would be able to recover (some) data
after the procedure.

What's the matter with OTF encryption? It is transparent to the user.

--
Mr Nobody