Re: Internet Explorer vs. Firefox security, what's the truth

From: \ (dvader_at_deathstar.mil)
Date: 07/03/04

Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 10:51:21 -0400

>OK, I thought from reading the net I knew the truth: that IE is inferior
>to Mozilla, Firefox and Opera in security ( e.g., the recent exploit on
>IIS servers ). My cpu repair business friend swears that it was the IT
>managers' fault that that exploit occurred. Am I missing something ?

The truth is that no browser or system is proof against a clueless or careless
user. IE is more susceptible to mischief because it has more ways to get into
trouble and it is the primary target because it is the most widely used,
especially among unskilled operators. Blanket statements like "Mozilla is more
secure than IE" are meaningless without qualification. As Leythos points out, it
is entirely possible to make IE as secure as any other browser. I have been
using IE since its inception and have never been successfully penetrated or
exploited.

crash@gpick.com?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

Relevant Pages

  • Re: There is no market for a Delphi for .NET compiler
    ... Apps will be no more secure than ... the operating system that they run on, ... Actualy there is truth in .NET being safer. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Steve Javie
    ... PeterL wrote: ... No it's truth by group consensus. ... > secure, you would ignore the group, as you are doing now. ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
  • Re: Margins, background problem...
    ... If it's not mentioned in w3 specs then it depends from the browser, ... You can't handle the truth! ...
    (alt.html)
  • Re: discuss: is javascript sucks or not ?
    ... it...and to tell you the truth it's easy to have errors for weird ... reasons...basically because u moved to a different browser. ... It's totally client side and that's where the majority of the problems ... Gerard. ...
    (comp.lang.javascript)