BIOS password safer?

From: Mike (no_reply_at_please.com)
Date: 07/03/04

Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 06:14:01 +0100

Mike wrote:
> XP Home, file system NTFS.
>
> XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I
> have 4 passworded accounts - is it true that without the password
> these accounts are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware
> repair is there no way for the technician to access my hardrive and
> its data beyond the login screen. No secret admin account or account
> entrance that is built in or could they run another OS from the cd
> drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way
> or another way I have not considered. I ask this because it just
> occurs to me how much private and personal information I have on my
> hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

Thanks all for response. The concensus seems to be that XP passwords are
there to prevent cursory or unacquainted intrusion and the real solution to
security is third party encryption and on-site or self repair. I know not
every technician has either the time or the inclination to pore over my love
letters but reliance on lack of intent is not best security. On my 98
machine I used a BIOS password - would this be a more secure option for XP.
Thanks again.

--
Regards

Relevant Pages

  • Startup password ?
    ... > XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. ... No secret admin account or account ... "Securing the Windows Account Database" ...
  • Startup password ?
    ... > XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. ... No secret admin account or account ... "Securing the Windows Account Database" ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Startup password ?
    ... > XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. ... No secret admin account or account ... "Securing the Windows Account Database" ...
  • Re: XP secure during repair?
    ... > XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. ... No secret admin account or account ... > drive such as DOS or Linux and access the drive information that way ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: How do I point a mail client at Microsoft outlook?
    ... Is that any more likely than /them/ breaking into your mail account? ... fetchmailrc file with passwords in it. ... even if seemingly encrypted (some encryption techniques are ... Though various secure mail and messaging systems aren't ...
    (Fedora)