Re: XP secure during repair?

From: DarthGates (DarthGates_at_Msn.com)
Date: 07/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 16:51:20 -0400

"Mike" <no_reply@please.com> wrote in message news:cc479b$o33$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
| XP Home, file system NTFS.
|
| XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. I have 4
| passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts
| are not accessible. If I take my PC in for hardware repair is there no way
| for the technician to access my hardrive and its data beyond the login
| screen. No secret admin account or account entrance that is built in or
| could they run another OS from the cd drive such as DOS or Linux and access
| the drive information that way or another way I have not considered. I ask
| this because it just occurs to me how much private and personal information
| I have on my hardrive should it need repair. Thanks.

If you want the most secure passwords do this .
http://www.is-it-true.org/nt/nt2000/registry/rtips51.shtml
Microsoft's LanMan Hash is insecure and relatively easy to break.
To prevent Active Directory from storing or using the lanman hash

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"nolmhash"=dword:00000001

  • BIOS password safer?
    ... > XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. ... No secret admin account or account ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • XP secure during repair?
    ... XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. ... passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts ...
  • XP secure during repair?
    ... XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. ... passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • XP secure during repair?
    ... XP is more secure than 98 but are the login passwords truly secure. ... passworded accounts - is it true that without the password these accounts ...
  • Re: BIOS password safer?