Re: Security of Web-based email question

From: Kleeb (kleeb_at_host.domain)
Date: 06/30/04

Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 21:15:58 +0100

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:18:38 -0400, "Andrew" <atangel@nospam.hotmail.com>
schrieb:

<snip>

>Just to be explicit, e-mail of any kind is not private AT ALL. Unless
>you encrypt it, it travels as plain text through every box it touches,
> including the servers at your job. People e-mail things they would
>NEVER put on a postcard. Still surprises me that people are resitant
>to e-mail encryption.

I agree totally here. But have you ever, ever convinced anyone to use any
form of email encryption ? I have tried many times in the past, but all I
get is the 'finger-gone-through-the-toilet-paper' look, and then a blatant
subject change. :/

To be fair though, who is most likely to 'sniff' emails ? Is it something
bored IT staff can do at will ? I mean, they have the means to sure, but
wouldn't this fall foul of some law if they were found doing it, with no
good reason ?

I'm curious as my arguments for encryption (leaving aside those for
protecting your HD data; which BTW everyone seems to see the point in even
if they don't understand what I'm talking about) always seem to fall down
when I'm asked for actual examples of where their emails could and would be
read by someone other than the intended recipient.

If I do manage to cite some examples, the response from them is invariably :

"But I've got nothing to hide anyway". :/

I'll keep on using PGP and similar forms of encryption, but I feel those of
us not working in the computer industry that still use it, are in a very
distinct minority.

Regards,

Kleeb.

Relevant Pages