Re: New computer, which security software?

From: NonDisputandum.com (webmaster_remove_at_remove_nondisputandum.com)
Date: 06/27/04

Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:06:36 GMT

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:02:00 GMT, "Gary Whittle"
<gary@garywhittle-nospam.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>My new PC arrived yesterday and I am trying to find out what software people
>recommend having loaded to avoid Virus's, Trojan's, unwanted Ads etc.
>
>I have a background in IT, a web designer by trade - but I have let my
>knowledge of PC security slip over the past year or two.
>
>I have loaded the most up to date versions of the following:
>
>- Norton Anti Virus 2004
>- Adaware Professional, Adwatch constantly running
>
>The obvious missing piece of the puzzle is some form of Firewall, which I
>have deliberately left out as I really hate the restrictions when playing
>online games, and working with my server.
>
>Is there anything else which will further protect my PC? My friend
>mentioned some form of Trojan monitor, cant remember what it was called. Do
>you think I should really employ the use of a firewall? My PC is connected
>to my cable modem via a D-Link 614+ wireless router, I think it may act as
>some form of firewall, although I cant be sure.
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice!!!
>
>Gary Whittle.

HI Gary,

Well,.. Ad Aware is a good start.

Spybot would be a good additional (free) spyware scanner.

I would not (yet) use Spy Sweeper,... give them some time to make less
agressive promotion & (smartly indirectly) stop pretending to be far
superior to ad aware & SpyBot,... = dishonest,... I cannot trust them
yet... tested it.. revieuw on
http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/be_aware.html
Perhaps a good tool,.. but imho way to agressive in it's promotion
what gives me the shivers...

But you can do more... like use Spybot's immunizer & Teatimer (inside
Spybot to monitor changes in your registry)

Spybot openly advises to use Spywareblaster to futher immunize your
system against internet (via IE) threats... so do I ;-) freeware &
regular definition updates

A2 & Swat-It are other known malware scanner,... good for an
occasional extra sweep...

Be Clean is the best (stable, potent & lightweight) daily system
cleaner that I found,.. crapcleaner is good as a second... many say to
do a good job,.. little do...

I have my favorite assumed to be honest security soft revieuwed on my
website. www.nondisputandum.com

To protext your XP from sending stuff home to MS I advice XP Antispy

To check your system for wrong set-up's and needed upgrades I do
advices Microsoft's Baseline Security Analyzer. Fortunately it was not
written by MS itselves ;-)

For years now I use Bigfix to find necessary updates,.. a good
addition to MBSA

RegSeeker (free) is the only genue registry scanner that can somehow
compete with jv16 powertools (former RegCleaner) (payware)
The free version is still available on http://www.oldversion.com i
guess.. as I already said.. many claim to be (registry scanner),..
little do a good job. (Be Clean also checks the registry and does a
fairly hoenst job,.. but not as profound as RegSeeker)

and there is so much more that you can do when you assume to have
picked up a malware.

Don't forget to make a System Recovery Point befor installing new
soft,.. but that's not something I have to tell you I guess,...
Perhaps usefull if other people read this.

so take a peep:
http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_spyware.html
http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/registry___system.html

good luck
Carl

--
www.nondisputandum.com
Freeware to Protect & Clean your PC

Relevant Pages

  • Re: New computer, which security software?
    ... >> Spybot would be a good additional spyware scanner. ... >> RegSeeker is the only genue registry scanner that can somehow ... Freeware to Protect & Clean your PC ... Freeware Office tools & Webbuilding ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Alternatives to re-installing XP Home
    ... This machine here is about as clean as I can get it. ... I use ZoneAlarm and AVG Antivirus, I regularly run Spybot Search & Destroy ... I've used a multitude of Registry cleaners & defragmenters and am currently ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Purging ThreatFire from register
    ... waiting for any advice on whether to try to clean the ... registry or just leave it alone before I run the utility. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: OT: The yearning for learning...
    ... amongst the dross there is some sensible advice for configuring VS. ... registry cleaners are a scam but ... de-registering them and now I want a clean slate for the "final copy". ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: Slow computer
    ... Clean up the programs running at start up. ... It contains advice ... using Windows XP "prettifications". ... You should at least turn on the built in firewall. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)