Re: Data Miner question

From: CB (croy14_at_noaddress.com)
Date: 06/18/04

Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:51:41 -0600

I just saw your post, and printed out you instructions and followed them
step-by-step.
AdAware again showed one instance of Data Miner &I deleted it. I then
disabled Sys Restore, then d/l Spybot, updated it, and it found 6 problems
which I allowed it to fix (a couple of which I need to ask my 15 yo son
about!!!).
After that, I enabled Sys Restore, then rebooted my pc and came here.
I guess I'll run both Adaware & Spybot tonight after I finish using the pc &
my son gets off it.
Thank you. I hope this works!
I do have a Linksys DSL/cable firewall router (BEFSX41) I used when I had
DSL, but I'm now hooked up to high speed Internet through my cable service,
so I need to find out if it will work with this new service.

"The Prophecy" <njfksdnksfd@bdbadbi.com> wrote in message
> CB wrote:
> > If this is the wrong ng, then I apologize & would request the right
> > one to post this question in.
> >
> > Everytime I run AdAware 6.0, I get the same warning, saying Data
> > Miner is installed on my pc. It is listed as VX2.BetterInternet and
> > in c:/system volume information/restore. I delete both entries of
> > Data Miner, but it reappears on the next AdAware scan.
>
> <snip>
>
> If you have read "johns" post, DO NOT FORMAT YOUR HARD DRIVE! That is an
> absolute last resort step, only to be used if EVERYTHING else has been
tried
> to resolve the problem and has failed. First, disable System Restore. To
do
> this go here:
>
> Disable System Restore for Windows ME:
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001012513122239
>
> Disable System Restore for Windows XP:
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001111912274039
>
> After Disabling System Restore, update and do a full scan with Ad-Aware,
> plus you should also get Spybot S&D
>
> Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/
>
> then update and do a full scan with it as well. If this fixes it, reply
and
> let me know.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Data Miner question
    ... > Data Miner, but it reappears on the next AdAware scan. ... Disable System Restore for Windows ME: ... Spybot S&D: http://www.safer-networking.org/ ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: what is the skq.exe process Virus? Hacker??
    ... Thanks Dave- I will download thhis stuff- i am running Norton corporate ... > 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions. ... > 3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore ... > You can also try some of the below online scanners. ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: Elitum DyFuca n-Case
    ... > 2) Disable System Restore ... > 3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode ... > 4) Using Adaware SE, perform a Full Scan of your platform and ...
  • Re: Offeroptimizer wont go away...ever
    ... >>3) Disable System Restore ... >>4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode ... >>5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: About:Blank
    ... what version of Adaware and what is the date of the Adaware Definition file. ... > 3) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore ... > 4) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible. ... Windows Automatic Update was ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)