Re: router

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 06/17/04

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:13:44 +0100

"Leythos" <void@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1b3a0d87c61ee30e98a641@news-server.columbus.rr.com...
> In article <LBTzc.29$M93.24@newsfe5-gui.server.ntli.net>, abuse@
> [127.0.0.1] says...
> > A better argument (based on the assumption that running anything other
than
> > firewall software on a firewall is A Bad Idea(tm)), is that a generic[1]
> > *nix box can be more versatile, by including things like DMZ routing
> > functions.
>
> Actually, a lot of firewall appliances have three networks, the public
> side, the trusted side, and the DMZ. Many of the smaller firewall
> appliances (not the cheap routers) are now including this same three
> port design. Some of the cheaper ones give you the ability to direct all
> DMZ traffic to a single IP (not an ideal solution) that you can do
> anything you want with (attach a router/nat and you have another
> network).

That's a new one on me (leaving aside Light units running IPcop) - all of
the SoHo routers I've seen have what they call a DMZ, but is really just
default port forwarding.

(Sorry for being picky - for me, a DMZ is a separate, isolated, LAN segment
between the outside world and the private LAN. It's very well firewalled on
both sides)

H1K

Relevant Pages

  • Re: router
    ... >> side, the trusted side, and the DMZ. ... > default port forwarding. ... "Firewall Appliances" I don't consider NAT Routers to be "Firewall ... DMZ and the networks are isolated from each other. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Ang: RE: Firewall and DMZ topology
    ... Network Engineer ... Subject: Firewall and DMZ topology ... > The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Firewall and DMZ topology
    ... Subject: Firewall and DMZ topology ... Should the DMZ be behind the LAN and not split off at the firewall, ... > The Gartner Group just put Neoteris in the top of its Magic Quadrant, ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Firewall and DMZ topology
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Unable to join AD domain from DMZ network
    ... To me that points to something outside the machine (Firewall most likely culprit) ... > the captured traffic between the server in DMZ to the DC from internal ... >>> authentication from DMZ to 2003 AD internal network. ...