Re: router

From: Colonel Flagg (colonel_flagg_at_NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org)
Date: 06/17/04

Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 03:48:46 -0400

In article <MPG.1b3a807081175bda98a64c@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
void@nowhere.com says...
> In article <MPG.1b3a7baacde3d9a1989dde@news.charter.net>,
> colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org says...
> > that is irrelevant to the discussion at hand. now you're dipping into
> > opinion, not fact. the FACT is, a linux box is more versatile, which was
> > the original point.
>
> No, it's not irrelevant - this discussion was about firewall appliances
> vs software/os based firewalls running on a Linux box - nothing was said
> about using it as a workstation. Sheesh man, every one knows that a
> firewall box is not a workstation, not a game server, not a streaming
> audio server, not a word processing system, not anything but a firewall.
>
> You statement, now that you've explained it, is like talking about NAT
> Routers and saying that my Windows 2003 server (or MDK 10 system) is
> more versatile than a router! What a crock of BS - you make a good
> troll.
>
> Now, when it comes to firewalls, which is what this is about, your Linux
> box makes a crappy firewall for most non-nix users, as a device is much
> easier to configure, comes with more standard features in an example of
> a base install, uses less power, and has less chance of breaking. It's
> also harder to screw up the rules on a device than it is for a new-home
> user (non-nix person) on a nix platform.

I still say you need to reread the thread. you're missing key points
made.

an appliance can only do so much. I want more. so do many others reading
and posting to this thread.

and on another note, didn't I read somewhere that the linksys OS is
based on linux?

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Linux or BSD alternative to Windows Home Server
    ... My questions were about Gentoo vs. Linux for a sever, ... I will probably eventually have a dedicated firewall ... if you were to have a file server which is accessible ... I'm aware that I could probably create scripts to regularly backup ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... as opposed to in Windows. ... this is not a software firewall as in Windows. ... firewalling code in GNU/Linux is actually part of the Linux kernel ... Kubuntu, Xubuntu et al, the first user account created at installation ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: OT - Desktop Linux
    ... I've got both windows and linux boxes. ... But are there any desktop operating systems out there which enjoy a dis- ... software firewall, have a good and up to date ...
    (alt.sports.basketball.nba.la-lakers)
  • Re: [opensuse] installing openSUSE on an older pc
    ... it seems Linux in general is going the way of M$, when you come to linux forums ... I picked them up as junk-ware from the Salvation Army thrift store for less than a meal for the family at McD's would cost. ... WYSISYG, and a large, capable desktop manager is going to need more memory. ... My firewall, mail-hub, file-server: all headless. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Seriously, now that I got Linux LiveCD running, what can I do with it? Newbie questions
    ... For example, there are some differences in the way distributions handle updates, configuration, root access, etc. - bbgruff is probably used to other distributions and was a little inaccurate about the way sudo is used in Ubuntu and Mint. ... It's probably easier for you to understand if I translate things roughly into windows terms. ... They are not entirely equivalent - MS didn't get things quite right when they copied user access from Linux for use in NT, or when they copied sudo as "user account control" in Vista. ... I don't normally configure a firewall on desktop or laptop Linux machines, and only do so on servers if they are internet-accessible. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)