Re: router

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 06/16/04

    Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:33:44 +0100

    "Colonel Flagg" <colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org> wrote in
    message news:MPG.1b3866f6e3c7ccd3989dd6@news.charter.net...
    > In article <MPG.1b38281b694381ee98a626@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
    > void@nowhere.com says...
    > > In article <MPG.1b381e71706b5914989dd5@news.charter.net>,
    > > colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org says...
    > > > the key word is "flexible", a cisco _anything_ cannot do _everything_
    > > > linux box can do....

    <big snip>

    > the only thing they offer is routing and firewalling (and a couple with
    > IDS). a *nix firewall can offer that and just about anything else you
    > can imagine.

    A better argument (based on the assumption that running anything other than
    firewall software on a firewall is A Bad Idea(tm)), is that a generic[1]
    *nix box can be more versatile, by including things like DMZ routing
    functions.

    Personally, I prefer two hardware routers[2], but each to their own.. in my
    case, I found it less trouble (and taking up less power & space) than my
    original Linux-based jobbies. Oh, and the FTP configuration was a complete
    bitch to get working, back in 1999 or so. The Netgear worked out-of-the-box.

    --
    A thoroughly neutral Hairy One Kenobi
    in the first place. So there!

    • Re: A question that has been asked a 100 times before
      ... > Open port scans were showing all ports as stealthed. ... > I have recently bought a US Robotics 5461 router. ... > know very little about it and don't yet know how to set up a firewall. ... the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • Re: Software Firewall NAT Router or Both
      ... >>Without the router its your pc that is being tested. ... >>I would run both and also look at configuring the router to show all ... The firewall also gives application control on outbound ... the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • [fw-wiz] Allied Telesyn AR450S
      ... Allied Telesyn says that this router has Stateful Inspection Firewall ... Any opinions about this? ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: [fw-wiz] Opinions wanted...
      ... I'll toss my opinions on the plate for what they are worth. ... It's a true security geek's firewall, ... with them, I wonder about the cost/benefit ratio, as I've found Cisco ...
      (Firewall-Wizards)
    • Re: Report a hacker
      ... look into the firewall you spoke of... ... It does not reflect the opinions ... >> www.network-tools.com to determine who the ISP is that owns the IP ... >> hardware to your system]. ...
      (microsoft.public.security)