Re: router

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 06/16/04

    Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:33:44 +0100

    "Colonel Flagg" <colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org> wrote in
    message news:MPG.1b3866f6e3c7ccd3989dd6@news.charter.net...
    > In article <MPG.1b38281b694381ee98a626@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
    > void@nowhere.com says...
    > > In article <MPG.1b381e71706b5914989dd5@news.charter.net>,
    > > colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org says...
    > > > the key word is "flexible", a cisco _anything_ cannot do _everything_
    > > > linux box can do....

    <big snip>

    > the only thing they offer is routing and firewalling (and a couple with
    > IDS). a *nix firewall can offer that and just about anything else you
    > can imagine.

    A better argument (based on the assumption that running anything other than
    firewall software on a firewall is A Bad Idea(tm)), is that a generic[1]
    *nix box can be more versatile, by including things like DMZ routing
    functions.

    Personally, I prefer two hardware routers[2], but each to their own.. in my
    case, I found it less trouble (and taking up less power & space) than my
    original Linux-based jobbies. Oh, and the FTP configuration was a complete
    bitch to get working, back in 1999 or so. The Netgear worked out-of-the-box.

    --
    A thoroughly neutral Hairy One Kenobi
    in the first place. So there!