Re: how to store data in local safely

From: Jacob Heider (lord-jacob_at_comcast.net)
Date: 06/02/04

    Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:02:32 GMT

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 16:55:48 +0800, a posting issued forth from lgl...
    > I have a problem now and want to get some help from you
    >
    > I am doing a DRM(Digital Right Management) system in linux, and now I am
    > seeking a method for store data in local safely. for example:
    >
    > There is a license file for each digital content(mp3 file etc). Each time
    > end users want play the mp3 file, he must first have a relative license
    > file. There are various info in the license file. for example, there may be
    > a element which specify the times the end user can play the mp3 file. What
    > I want to do is:
    > The fist time you play the file, I get the counter from the license file and
    > store it locally. In future each time you play the file, I will decrease
    > the counter untill it becomes zero. But how to make sure only my
    > program(the player) can change the value, and the end user can't.
    >
    > I don't know whether SELinux will do.
    > I will be very thankful if you can give me some advice.

    Oy. Setting aside that this is antithetical to the Free Software
    movement, and will be abhorrent to many Linux gurus, here is a (brief)
    insight.

    You must control the file. This means one of two things:

    1) If this will only be used on systems where you are the administrator,
    install your program suid, and have it modify a root-modifyable-only
    file.
    2) If you don't control the computer, then the player must discourse
    with a server under your control to get the license information
    everytime the file is accessed.

    Either way, it is unlikely anyone will use your product unless
    absolutely required to. Nobody likes DRM, and legel constraints are
    stronger, anyway. If your material is of sufficient value, someone will
    break your security. Spend your time finding a good copyright lawyer,
    instead.

    Jacob

    • Re: how to store data in local safely
      ... > seeking a method for store data in local safely. ... There are various info in the license file. ... > be a element which specify the times the end user can play the mp3 file. ... which means having the keys within your application on the users machine, ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • how to store data in local safely
      ... There is a license file for each digital content. ... a element which specify the times the end user can play the mp3 file. ... the counter untill it becomes zero. ...
      (alt.computer.security)
    • how to store data in local safely
      ... There is a license file for each digital content. ... a element which specify the times the end user can play the mp3 file. ... the counter untill it becomes zero. ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • how to store data in local safely
      ... There is a license file for each digital content. ... a element which specify the times the end user can play the mp3 file. ... the counter untill it becomes zero. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: [opensuse] Antivir keys opensuse 10.2
      ... License file ... it's written that the file is only for windows but i didn't find any ... I've looked through the web site www.free-av.com and can't find ... anywhere where I can request or get a new free key for AV Classic for Linux ...
      (SuSE)