Re: Way to block one website address?

From: zz (zz_at_nospam.com)
Date: 05/27/04

Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:20:28 GMT

Louise wrote:

>>>I would like to be able to block one website address without incurring
>>>the load of adding something like Norton parental controls.
>>>
>>>Can this be done?
>>
>>have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
>>127.0.0.1
>>
>>cheers
>>

> Thanks - didn't know about doing that.
>
> Louise

Before the browser goes to the ISP DNS server it looks in the Hosts file
to translate the requested URL into an IP number. If a matching URL is
listed in the Hosts file the request never goes out to a DNS server. The
Hosts file can be used to stop requests to ad servers also.

g-w

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Way to block one website address?
    ... > Louise wrote: ... > listed in the Hosts file the request never goes out to a DNS server. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Hosts file ignored
    ... >> any of the entries I have made to the server's hosts file. ... >> I have verified that the DataBasePath registry key at ... >> I am not running a DNS server on my system. ... >> I can ping IP addresses without any problem, both on the LAN and on ...
  • Re: IE6 and slow domain resolution
    ... Another thing to try is to locate your HOSTS file (no extension). ... blocking your DNS server, or if it is extensively long (could cause slow dns ... > Still get the same 7-10 second delay with IE6. ...
  • Re: Spyware blocking with HOSTS file on DNS server
    ... Spyware blocking with HOSTS file on DNS server ... > names in HOSTS file format that resolve them to loopback. ... Instead our proxy server performs all name ... > lists that are well maintained. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Dangerous Internet Security Problem
    ... Here's the message I get back from a check of my Comcast DNS server: ... your computer directs domain address inquiries before going to the DNS ... If it finds the address in the HOSTS file it bypasses the DNS ... Here's where you can download a ready made HOSTS file. ...
    (soc.retirement)