Re: HELP-Hijacked browser ( ? )

From: Chuck (none_at_example.net)
Date: 05/23/04

Date: 23 May 2004 16:16:11 -0500

On Sun, 23 May 2004 12:32:01 -0400, *email_address_deleted* (DinP) wrote:

>Maybe someone can give me answer.
>
>I'll be surfing away on my computer, click on any random link and a
>private search engine.......
>
>DON'T GO TO without a firewall or Spy/AdWare remover
>
>(vankpm.outhost.info)
>
>will redirect me to it. What is this, when I am redirected to this page
>whenever it feels like coming up? Its not affecting any other part of my
>computer [that i'm aware of] but it's annoyng as hell. Browser
>Hijacker, Spy/ADware, a worm ???? and...what can I use to get it off my
>computer. Please E-mail (or post) me any suggestions, it would be
>greatly appreciated !!!

DinP,

How current is your virus protection? Try these free online virus scans:
<http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php>
<http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm>
<http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/>
<http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp>
<http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp>

Download and run McAfee Stinger, available at:
http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

Now check for, and learn to defend against, additional carriers of infection.
Have you downloaded these programs before? Download them again, as many are
revised frequently, to keep up with the current level of malware being attempted
constantly - get the absolutely most current version of each product listed.
They're all free - and most pretty small, so they download quickly enough.

First, download LSP-Fix and WinsockXPFIx from <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>,
and CWShredder from <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>. All are
free.

Next, close all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, then run CWShredder.
Have it fix all variants.

Now check for, and remove, spyware. Get HijackThis
<http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155> and Spybot S&D
<http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>. Both free.
1) Install and run Spybot. First update it ("Search for updates"), then run a
scan ("Check for problems"). Trust Spybot, and make all recommended deletions.
2) Install and run HijackThis. Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
HJT Log.
3) Have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the following
forums (and post it here):
<http://forums.net-integration.net/>
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
<http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>
<http://www.wilderssecurity.com/>

If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

Cheers,
Chuck

  • Re: PERFECTNAV.COM
    ... Download, UPDATE before running, and run: ... Be sure that you also download and install hotfix Q816093, ... Another excellent program for this purpose is SpyBot Search and Destroy ... Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support, ...
  • Re: A2 found "traces"
    ... Trace.Directory.Spyware.MateWatcher ... download it. ... more pieces of spyware, a little bit at a time and usually quick enough so ... I don't know about Spybot, but I -thought- Adaware had done a fix to ...
  • Re: Internet Explorer Home Page Driving Me Crazy
    ... CoolWebSearch (if not, then see AdAware, SpyBot, and HijackThis, below). ... Download, UPDATE before running, and run: ... Be sure that you also download and install hotfix Q816093, ... Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support, ...
  • Re: Home Page Problems
    ... CoolWebSearch (if not, then see AdAware, SpyBot, and HijackThis, below). ... Download, UPDATE before running, and run: ... Be sure that you also download and install hotfix Q816093, ... Spyware and Hijackware Removal Support, ...
  • Re: Home Page "about:blank"