Re: REVIEW: "Network Security Essentials", William Stallings

From: John (
Date: 05/17/04

Date: 17 May 2004 12:12:17 -0700

I am totally green on the subject of network security and want to know
whether this book will really give me the basic concepts.
Who knows whether it does?

Find out about your true character at (Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor) wrote in message news:<8fQjc.361$>...
> [...]
> states that the intent is to provide a practical survey of network
> security applications and standards, particularly those in widespread
> use. As with the earlier work, this book is intended to serve both as
> a textbook for an academic course of study, and as a self-study and
> reference guide for practicing professionals. There is reduced detail
> in regard to cryptography.
> Chapter one is an introduction, and provides a good list of basic
> concepts and vocabulary. It may not be completely apparent to all
> readers that the emphasis is on threats to data transmissions and
> there is limited review of attacks on functioning systems.
> Part one deals with cryptography. Chapter two covers symmetric block
> ciphers in fundamental but sound terms, illustrated by an explanation
> of DES (Data Encryption Standard). The logic is heavily symbolic at
> times, but that should not be an impediment to the reader. It is
> interesting that chapter three views asymmetric cryptography as an
> extension of message authentication codes, but the explanations are
> articulate, including both algebraic and numeric examples, although
> the numeric illustrations could be fuller.
> Part two deals with network security applications. Chapter four looks
> at authentication applications, concentrating on Kerberos and X.509.
> The examples of email security systems given in chapter five are PGP
> (Pretty Good Privacy) and S/MIME (Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail
> Extension). Security provisions for the Internet Protocol (IP) itself
> are reviewed in chapter six. Web security, in chapter seven,
> discusses SET (Secure Electronic Transaction) and SSL (Secure Sockets
> Layer). Chapter eight reviews SNMP (Simple Network Management
> Protocol) both in terms of network management for security purposes,
> and in regard to cryptography for authentication of the application
> itself.
> Part four outlines general system security. Intruders and malicious
> software are lumped together in chapter nine, with a reasonable
> outline of the types of malware, but not dealing as well with viruses
> themselves. (Activity Monitors are referred to as "third generation"
> tools, when they actually predate both signature scanners ["first
> generation"] and heuristics ["second generation"].) Chapter ten
> finishes off the book with a description of firewalls, but has a
> rather odd inclusion of basic access control and trusted systems.
> Each chapter ends with a set of recommended readings and problems.
> Many chapters also have appendices giving additional details of
> specific topics related to the subject just discussed.
> A very reasonable guide, although possibly less practical than it
> intended to be.
> copyright Robert M. Slade, 2003 BKNTSCES.RVW 20031210
> --
> ======================
> "If you do buy a computer, don't turn it on." - Richards' 2nd Law

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Network Security in India
    ... [Full-Disclosure] Network Security in India ...
  • Re: REVIEW: "Network Security Essentials", William Stallings
    ... I am totally green on the subject of network security and want to know ... whether this book will really give me the basic concepts. ... > in regard to cryptography. ...
  • RE: priviledge escalation techniques
    ... Of course, if you have FAT, or a weak ACLs on the root, then yeah. ... As for the rest of your internal security... ... - Network Security Scanner ... | Subject: priviledge escalation techniques ...
  • Illinois Personal Information Protection Act
    ... The Personal Information Protection Act, which was signed by Illinois ... residents in the event of a network security breach. ... Network security audits identify where and how data networks are ...
  • Network security Lab Ideas
    ... I am in charge of building a Cyber Security Lab for our University. ... Cryptography and Network Security by William Stallings ...