Re: Norton PF 2002 configuring over and over...

mike_at_mechanic.com
Date: 05/17/04

Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:24:08 -0400

On Mon, 17 May 2004 17:29:24 +0000 (UTC), cgoodin@sfu.ca (Chuk Goodin)
brought the following to our attention:

>Lately whenever I go on the internet, I notice a huge slowdown on my PC.
>So we checked the running processes and some other status things, and it
>turns out that our Norton Personal Firewall 2002 is getting a "Firewall
>configuration updated" message 2-4 times per second! It used to only do
>that once a day. Our Win98 machine is doing it too (the main PC is XP Pro
>and we're sharing a DSL connection).
As of WED 05-12 LiveUpdates.. NPF and it's associated routines have
been VERY troublesome. One of the things that happened.. was the Win2k
Wkstn slowed noticeably. Checking in Task Manager.. a Norton routine
(perhaps redirector) was hogging one of the CPU's (50% on a dual-Xeon)

Soon another update came out.. like the same day or the NEXT day for
redirector. Ther are STILL issues when browsing like.. IE gets stuck
in a localhost (127. ) loop and cannot be recovered short of a reboot.

Often the NFW will repeatedly ask for permissions which no reply will
satisfy. Then Win2k will bluescreen. Very annoying!!

>LiveUpdate still works, we don't have any viruses (the Symantec automatic
>support said that we had MyDoom, but the removal tool didn't find it), and
>things like ICQ and PuTTy still seem to work fine. If we don't have an IE
>window open, everything is slow.
>
>Has anyone heard of this before? Is it just Norton's way of forcing an
>upgrade? Our subscription is still valid.

I wondered that as well.. so I uninstalled NPF and reinstalled from
the CD.. then did about three simultaneous LiveUpdates. It has
malfunctioned JUST ONCE since then.. and not in the last 1-2 days.

One More ALICE.. and I'm yankin' it and going with ZA or SyGate!!

    -Mike