Re: Good sniffer software

From: *Vanguard* (no-email_at_reply-to-newsgroup.invalid)
Date: 05/16/04

Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 19:10:39 -0500

Zorpetus said in news:c51808d3.0405151427.6c7c713@posting.google.com:
> Could somebody recommend me some good
> network "sniffer" software that could be used
> to intercept data on the LAN where I am sysadm.
>
> I would like to test security of our corporate
> LAN (some 300 workstations, 25 servers)
> which is entirely based on HP Procurve
> switches (so, therefore there is no single
> broadcast Ethernet domain). In short, I would
> like to see if it is still possible that someone
> installs some network equipment (PC+software)
> and "sniff" data on the network.
>
> Any pointer to software that could be used
> for testing or any other related URL is
> more than welcome.

Ethereal (http://www.ethereal.com/) had been suggested to me when I
asked about monitoring my traffic. Never got around to trying it,
though.

*** Post replies to newsgroup.  Share with others.
*** Email: domain = ".com" and append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

  • Good sniffer software
    ... network "sniffer" software that could be used ... to intercept data on the LAN where I am sysadm. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Good sniffer software?
    ... network "sniffer" software that could be used ... to intercept data on the LAN where I am sysadm. ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Search Key Not Found Error Again
    ... Given how it hurts performance to do direct syncs even over the LAN, ... indirect is what I recommend for any case other than on the same machine. ... >>NLS Collation/Locale/Keyboard Development ...
    (microsoft.public.access.replication)
  • Detailed step by step LAN setup procedure
    ... Can anyone recommend to me a source for getting the detailed ... step by step procedure for setting up a LAN? ... plugged into a new Cable/DSL router with 4-port switch, ... No problem with internet access from any of them, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.networking)
  • Re: Spy Sweeper - worst programe ever!
    ... Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote ... ... >> I believe Lan would recommend the first three and not Hijack this ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)