Re: What if no firewall when using eDonkey or Kazaa?

From: Ant (not_at_home.today)
Date: 05/15/04

Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:16:20 +0100

"miner" wrote...
> "charlie R"...
>>
>> If you're connected to the Internet, you need a firewall.

> i agree. if msblaster and sasser aren't good enough arguments for
> having a firewall, i don't know what is.

I think they're good arguments for closing the NetBT and RPC ports
that Windows likes to listen on - which is what I have done. I run
no firewall, and am not troubled by these exploits.

Of course, if you're prone to downloading and running malware, a
firewall might be useful.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: avast
    ... > Just did a clean installation of xp pro sp1 and download 'avast anti ... Did you firewall before connecting to the internet? ... Internet and patch with the critical updates? ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: XP NOT RESPONDING
    ... Did you have a firewall going before connecting to the internet? ... Microsoft has these suggestions for Protecting your computer from the ... Why you should use a computer firewall.. ... are pay - some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
  • Re: Guide to secure installtion of IIS 5
    ... don't forget a well-configured firewall. ... Do not put the computer onto the network or the Internet until after the ... Follow the instructions for hardening Windows and IIS at ... Install all service packs and security fixes from Microsoft and otherwise ...
  • RE: firewall
    ... You need to do a lot of reading about ipfw ... IPFW is the only firewall available to FBSD, ... rules do not function correctly on a DSL or cable internet ... @320 pass in quick on rl0 proto tcp from 63.70.155.0/24 to any port ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Security Alerts Driving Me INSANE!
    ... The only reason, really, that you need a firewall and antivirus software is ... because you use the Internet with your computer. ... cleaned up and considered a hardware upgrade or three. ...