Re: Passwords

From: Colonel Flagg (colonel_flagg_at_NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org)
Date: 05/10/04

Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 01:51:42 -0400

In article <p9vs90dpbb5raooepkcqen8ud5nveee58n@4ax.com>,
david_removeablejunk_.rolph@cox.net says...
> Hello,
>
> I am sure I am not the first person to encounter this problem. I hope
> somebody can point me in the right direction to a solution for it.
>
> I am a fairly low tech computer user. Over time I have accumulated a
> rather large collection of accounts and passwords.
>
> Some of them are for unimportant things like a on line forum I am a
> member of. Some of them allow access to my bank account or the like.
>
> I have a half decent system for keeping passwords that relies mostly
> on my own memory. But it regularly falls down on things I dont access
> for a long time. I am aware of other methods like:
>
> writing them down on a piece of paper that I hide.
> keeping a list in a computer file that I encrypt.
> using the same password for lots of things.
> allowing my browser to remember the passwords for me.
> getting a password management program.
>
> I am willing to spend some, but not a massive amount of time on
> managing these passwords. I think that there are probably people out
> there who are capable of getting my passwords whatever I do. I'd like
> to get some advice from the experts here on what is a good way to look
> after my passwords.
>
> I am leaning towards getting a password manager program. Is that too
> much of an all your eggs in one basket approach?
>
> Cheers,
> david

PGP is your friend.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: A virus or two
    ... bank account for safekeeping, requesting that I send him the relevant ... include transmitting back information about your mailing lists, ... passwords of all kinds, etc., some of which may then be exploited in the ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: German article on the child benefit data fiasco
    ... were discussing security problems. ... One's "bank details" are far from secret, as they're printed on every cheque. ... This doesn't, on its own, enable anyone with these details to access your bank account. ... Yes they did say this, rather implying that whoever has the records will be painstakingly guessing at passwords and PINs based on names, birthdays, etc., which seems unlikely. ...
    (uk.media.radio.archers)
  • Re: Genealogy
    ... bezerk thinking his bank account would be raided. ... I then issued username & passwords to ... family members. ... what good is any sort of 'security code' when it's a matter of public record ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Suggestion for knowledge keeper?
    ... various passwords, bank account numbers, etc. ... that I think now it's taxing system resource too much. ... Guru rpms. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Suggestion for knowledge keeper?
    ... Currently I'm using Kate to keep notes, part of log files, my thoughts, various passwords, bank account numbers, etc. ...
    (SuSE)