Passwords

From: davidfromtas (david_removeablejunk_.rolph_at_cox.net)
Date: 05/09/04

Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 12:01:23 -0700

Hello,

I am sure I am not the first person to encounter this problem. I hope
somebody can point me in the right direction to a solution for it.

I am a fairly low tech computer user. Over time I have accumulated a
rather large collection of accounts and passwords.

Some of them are for unimportant things like a on line forum I am a
member of. Some of them allow access to my bank account or the like.

I have a half decent system for keeping passwords that relies mostly
on my own memory. But it regularly falls down on things I dont access
for a long time. I am aware of other methods like:

writing them down on a piece of paper that I hide.
keeping a list in a computer file that I encrypt.
using the same password for lots of things.
allowing my browser to remember the passwords for me.
getting a password management program.

I am willing to spend some, but not a massive amount of time on
managing these passwords. I think that there are probably people out
there who are capable of getting my passwords whatever I do. I'd like
to get some advice from the experts here on what is a good way to look
after my passwords.

I am leaning towards getting a password manager program. Is that too
much of an all your eggs in one basket approach?

Cheers,
david