Re: Windows vulnerability vs Linux vulnerability [Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?]

From: Jörn W. Janneck (jwjanneck)
Date: 05/07/04

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:37:46 -0700

Leythos wrote:
> In article <c7ghp5$n121@cliff.xsj.xilinx.com>, "Jörn W. Janneck"
> <jwjanneck at yahoo dot com> says...
>> Leythos wrote:
>>> In article <2g0tt8F2urajU1@uni-berlin.de>, Luke_Tulkas_88@hotmail.com
>>> says...
>> [snip]
>>> Funny how the person suggesting Mandrake and Open Office didn't include
>>> any AV software for it.
>>
>> indeed. want to speculate why that might be?
>
> Because they believe in security through obscurity?

that must be it. i am convinced. i'll take 500 bucks out of the bank, drop
them at bestbuy, and get some xp/nav/ms office for my home machine. right
now.

-- j

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Windows vulnerability vs Linux vulnerability [Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?]
    ... Leythos wrote: ... want to speculate why that might be? ... > Because they believe in security through obscurity? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Windows vulnerability vs Linux vulnerability [Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?]
    ... Leythos wrote: ... want to speculate why that might be? ... > Because they believe in security through obscurity? ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • RE: Concepts: Security and Obscurity
    ... resources are limited and thus there is a cost to life. ... It is not obscurity in the manner being ... more you spend on security the less of an advantage is gained. ... It also ignores the requirements of a control function. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Re: Concepts: Security and Obscurity
    ... so long as you understand that the server location and port number ... security in the slightest." ... Beale's assertion that "Obscurity Potentially Slows Down the Attacker". ... BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: NAT external/Public IP
    ... I remember working for an ISP a long while back that was threatened to be disconnected from the Internet if they did not stop routing the 10.x range in their BGP tables. ... Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls. ... Why not Security by Design plus Security by Obscurity? ...
    (Security-Basics)