Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?

From: Lars M. Hansen (badnews_at_hansenonline.net)
Date: 05/04/04

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 18:49:42 GMT

On Tue, 4 May 2004 18:07:15 +0000 (UTC), phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
spoketh

>In comp.security.misc Bill Unruh <unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>> Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> writes:
>
>> ]On Tue, 04 May 2004 08:33:32 GMT, Piotr Makley spoketh
>
>> ]>If I had a firewall would that prevent the Sasser worm infecting my
>> ]>PC?
>> ]>
>> ]>I mean, if another infected system cannot see my ports because they
>> ]>are stealthed then presumably Sasser could not infect me?
>
>> ]Yes, any firewall that blocks incoming port 445 will prevent infection
>> ]by the Sasser worm.
>
>> Why is port 445 open on his system in the first place?
>
>Becouse microsoft has it enabled and vulnerable by default.

"Vulnerable by default"? What the F*** does that mean? Does that mean
when the next vulnerability for linux are discovered, the Microsoft camp
can claim that linux are "vulnerable by default"?

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

  • [UNIX] Linux Kernel IP Masquerading Vulnerability
    ... Linux Kernel IP Masquerading Vulnerability ... firewall as being a legitimate, ... The attacker should listen on TCP port 6667 on the specified remote host ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
    ... >> Why is port 445 open on his system in the first place? ... >Becouse microsoft has it enabled and vulnerable by default. ... when the next vulnerability for linux are discovered, ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
    ... >> Why is port 445 open on his system in the first place? ... >Becouse microsoft has it enabled and vulnerable by default. ... when the next vulnerability for linux are discovered, ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
    ... >>Becouse microsoft has it enabled and vulnerable by default. ... A default environment is one which is in effect if no substitute is ... Vulnerability means the presence of a weakness which is ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
    ... >>Becouse microsoft has it enabled and vulnerable by default. ... A default environment is one which is in effect if no substitute is ... Vulnerability means the presence of a weakness which is ...
    (alt.computer.security)