Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?

From: Leythos (void_at_nowhere.com)
Date: 05/04/04

Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 18:11:22 GMT

In article <c78mat$4ps$1@string.physics.ubc.ca>,
unruh@string.physics.ubc.ca says...
> "Close all ports that you do not absolutely need on your machine"
> should surely be the first bit of advice. Then after you have done that
> also install a firewall for that extra bit of protection.

The problem is that most people don't have a clue as to how to close
ports, setup IPSec rules, etc... Most people don't even know to enable
the ICF on their machines.

The best thing people can do is purchase a cheap router with NAT and use
it from the moment they get their computer. This lets them download the
updates, install and update the AV software, etc... before they have a
chance to get hacked.

I put this back on the ISP's - they provide a open connection and don't
warn the unsuspecting public about the risk/problems. If they just
enabled NAT by default on their routers (DSL or Cable) most of this
problem would go away.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
    ... > also install a firewall for that extra bit of protection. ... The best thing people can do is purchase a cheap router with NAT and use ... updates, install and update the AV software, etc... ... enabled NAT by default on their routers most of this ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
    ... > also install a firewall for that extra bit of protection. ... The best thing people can do is purchase a cheap router with NAT and use ... updates, install and update the AV software, etc... ... enabled NAT by default on their routers most of this ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: 800703E7 error message
    ... I get this message when trying to install service pack 2. ... > Check for hardware driver updates? ... > Patches and Updates! ... > drivers for your hardware/operating system. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: i cant update windows!
    ... > download, but at the very end of the process it says that the ... I havent been able to get any updates ... First - cleanup your machine and ready it for Service Pack 2. ... Then install Service Pack 2 from the downloaded install file (not the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Do i need SP2?
    ... > I am running XP pro with all updates EXCEPT SP2. ... many patches will begin requiring SP2 to install.. ... and some you can only download if you are registered - but it is best ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)