Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?

From: Bill Unruh (unruh_at_string.physics.ubc.ca)
Date: 05/04/04

    Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 16:27:45 +0000 (UTC)

    Piotr Makley <pmakley@mail.com> writes:

    ]If I had a firewall would that prevent the Sasser worm infecting my
    ]PC?

    ]I mean, if another infected system cannot see my ports because they
    ]are stealthed then presumably Sasser could not infect me?

    Sassler cannot infect you if you do not run Windows. Sassler cannot
    infect you if you install the patch from Microsoft. A firewall might
    help, but if you insist on not doing the first two you will always be in
    danger. Note that a firewall has nothing to do with "stealthing" your
    ports. It simply rejects all attempts to connect to ports except those
    you deliberately open. You can do the same by not opening any ports
    except those you absolutely need in the first place. What ports are open
    on your system? Do you know?

    • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
      ... ]If I had a firewall would that prevent the Sasser worm infecting my ... if another infected system cannot see my ports because they ... Sassler cannot infect you if you do not run Windows. ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
      ... ]If I had a firewall would that prevent the Sasser worm infecting my ... if another infected system cannot see my ports because they ... Sassler cannot infect you if you do not run Windows. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
      ... if another infected system cannot see my ports because they ... >are stealthed then presumably Sasser could not infect me? ... by the Sasser worm. ...
      (comp.security.misc)
    • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
      ... if another infected system cannot see my ports because they ... >are stealthed then presumably Sasser could not infect me? ... by the Sasser worm. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • Re: Would a firewall prevent Sasser worm?
      ... if another infected system cannot see my ports because they ... >are stealthed then presumably Sasser could not infect me? ... by the Sasser worm. ...
      (alt.computer.security)