Re: How secure is your Windows Computer?

From: FromTheRafters (!0000_at_nomad.fake)
Date: 05/03/04

Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 10:55:33 -0400

"Mike" <nospam@notherematey.com> wrote in message news:c75c9e$383$1@thorium.cix.co.uk...

> "mailbox" <mailbox62001@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Let's all go to our C:Windows Directory after we have made all of our
> > files in this directory visible. Tell the group the names of the
> > Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this.
> > Dangerous code is always discovered in this directory and but you
> > need to enable the Windows Features to (view or show) all Hidden
> > Files.
> >
> > Let's see how secure your computer actually really is!
>
> I don't have a c:\windows directory!

She said "C:Windows" not "C:\Windows"

> I have a C:\WINNT. Is that any good?

Well, if that all ya got - it'll *have* to do I guess. :O)

> When I try to view files in that directory it says my Administrator won't
> allow me. Have I been hacked?

Obviously, if you are not *allowed* to do things. It sounds
like someone called the "Administrator" owns yer box.

> My other computer has \root \etc \var but no C:?

Weird, you really should get that fixed. :0\

> I tried creating a \Windows
> directory but it said I didn't have permission.

On *either* computer!?

You are *soooo oownnned* dude.

I have Win98 and *never* have had to ask for permission to
do stuff. Maybe you should upgrade to Win98?

> Please help me.........

Sorry, but you must ask the "Administrator" for permission
to plead for help in usenet.

...or get special dispensation from Fluffy.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How secure is your Windows Computer?
    ... >> Folders and Files which show as a light color and let's discuss this. ... I have Win98 and *never* have had to ask for permission to ... Maybe you should upgrade to Win98? ... but you must ask the "Administrator" for permission ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • resol
    ... Verify that the user who is trying to install the hotfix or the update has local Administrator permissions. ... You do not have permission to update Windows XP with local admin rights ... We have local admin rights on the workstations. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: 837272 & 839643 Updates wont install on W2K SP4 domain PCs - Permission Error
    ... > 3.455: Failed To Enable SE_BACKUP_PRIVILEGE> 3.565: Setup encountered an error: You do not have> permission to update Windows 2000. ... > Please contact your system administrator. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: Office 2007 Docs open read only from Webdav folder
    ... "I did copy all the files while logged on as administrator. ... I had copied them all into the Shared Documents" ... Users should have PERMISSION to access the Shared Docs directory. ... assume that your user account can access these files on your backup ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: XP Accessibility feature saving profile
    ... >> think you should have the System Administrator, ... >>> the network storage they provide or my thumbdrive and restore it for my ... I have WRITTEN permission + if they refused to ... >>>> multi-user environments to protect setups from exactly the kind of ...