Re: [OT] Help crack DES for school assignment

Pique_at_boo
Date: 04/24/04

Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:22:38 +0100

Thomas Soininen wrote:

> Some friends of mine are, as part of an assignment for the course
> Cryptography and Network Security, attempting to brute-force their
> way through DES.

I just don't see the point. The first RSA DES challenge over seven years
ago may have prompted the development of faster algorithms, but it
didn't really prove anything we didn't already know. Nor will this and I
think whoever set the exercise should have picked keys from a limited
keyspace that could be searched in a few weeks on an average box.

~pique@boo