WinXP SP2 beta ... bleh!

From: johns (
Date: 04/02/04

Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:23:13 -0800

The best thing about my computer is PowerQuest
DriveImage2002. No two ways about it !!!!!!!!!!!
I got crazy today and decided to try XPSP2 beta.
It is truly a pig. The stupidest error of all was that
the Error Reporting Icon gave errors, and would
not work until I enabled my .net account with MS
.... thereby exposing my system to "messenger"
poop and subscription sites. Javascript was gone.
No amount of clicking on boxes would give it back,
and there are legit uses for javascript. I run PopUp
Stopper, and it keeps javascript turned off unless
I enable it with the <shift> key. Simple and useful.
Several things I tried seemed to activate a "Backup
or Restore" program ... out of nowhere. I canceled
it twice. I run f-secure. SP2 can't detect that I'm
running f-secure, so it nagged me constantly to purchase
an anti-virus program ??? Stupid. Most irritating of
all was that my P4 / 800fsb system seemed to run
much slower. Noticably slower !!!! Screw that. Not
so bothersome was the restart screen came up in
640 x 480 minimum mode. Looks like crap. Why?
That many errors in 30 minutes was just enough.
I started DriveImage, and restored my system fully
intact, and back up to a good performance level
that I expect of XP Pro ... took about 20 minutes,
and I'm happy again. However, I'm not kidding
when I say, I dread the coming upgrade to SP2, and
it will be automatic no doubt. Seems Microsofts idea
of network security is to cripple WinXP.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: WinXP SP2 beta ... bleh!
    ... Thats the reason why its still in beta stage ... > and there are legit uses for javascript. ... SP2 can't detect that I'm ... Noticably slower ...
  • Re: CHM Resources and Windows XP SP2
    ... I've found that even a .html with a trival bit of javascript that just does ... I think by default sp2 just looks for _any_ script, ... >>> not use any active controls or IE behaviors. ...
  • Re: Just venting (totally OT)
    ... needs SP2 if it's ever going to be connected to the internet. ... There are workarounds, I can assure you. ... Even though the SP2 machine has a firewall? ... your Web browser to execute Javascript. ...
  • Re: Problem w/IE6 & XP SP2 & javascript
    ... This is yet another lockdown implemented in SP2, ... and used the javascript to open IE and position it so it was larger ... I really do need the script to work or some other solution. ... >> the Address in the Homepage panel: javascript: ...
  • Trojaner verhindern?
    ... Zudem kann via VBScript (dass beim IE ja zeitgleich mit JavaScript ... Ich setze nun mein System (Win XP SP2, IE7, etc.) neu auf. ... ist ja ein Teil der Gefahr gebannt, die XP-Firewall ist auch aktiv. ...