Re: a couple of questions from a newbie to this group

From: Bit Twister (BitTwister_at_localhost.localdomain)
Date: 04/02/04

Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:02:23 GMT

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:49:02 -0600, *Vanguard* wrote:
> "Colonel Flagg" said in
>> "stealth" is a non-term. it's meaningless, much as all of grc is.
>
> Guess you have a real problem understanding that stealth means NO
> response is returned where open and closed ARE responses. Reporting
> a port as closed clearly identifies that there is a host at that
> probed IP address. That in itself identifies to the hacker that a
> host DOES exist at that IP address. Stealthed, in returning NO
> RESPONSE, tells the hacker nothing!

Sorry you do not understand.

The fact that there is no response tells us that there is a computer
on and it is not responding. If the computer was off/not connected,
that computer's gateway will tell me there is not a computer at that address.

PS:
  It would be considerate of you to set Microsoft Outlook Express to
  line wrap at 72 characters. Feel free to use any of the over 400
  test newsgroups (groups ending in .test) to fixe it.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Proper "stealth" behavior
    ... "stealth" isn't stealth; ... valid network response to a request. ... if you set up your box (or router!) to provide the RFC mandated ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How to stealth Port 113 in my NAT Router
    ... Stealth setting appears to have some usefuleness. ... Having a "Stealth" setting can slow down port scannerslooking ... response is not a correct response that is supposed to occur in networking. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Proper "stealth" behavior
    ... > It may be a security feature. ... > valid network response to a request. ... I think many people are now figuring out that about the term "Stealth". ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Stealth vs. Blocked
    ... >> Stealth doesn't mean you are invisible. ... >> packet is dropped rather than properly responded to. ... >> proper response is a clear indication that there is a device present ... >the lack of a "proper" response means nothing. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Stealth vs. Blocked
    ... >> Stealth doesn't mean you are invisible. ... >> packet is dropped rather than properly responded to. ... >> proper response is a clear indication that there is a device present ... >the lack of a "proper" response means nothing. ...
    (alt.computer.security)