Re: a couple of questions from a newbie to this group

From: billh (NoMail_at_Post2Newsgroup.Pls)
Date: 04/01/04

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:27:44 -0500

<snip>

Now I, too, am looking to replace Norton's firewall. There are a lot of
nice features but I can't keep having my connection go partially or wholly
dead once every day or two. Sygate has their freebie Personal Firewall
(http://smb.sygate.com) but it seems too crippled so you'll end up getting
their Pro version, anyway.

<snip>

What do you consider to be crippled in the free version that should be
available for significantly safer operation?

I use freebie Sygate behind a Linksys router. I feel it (or the combination)
does a good job and Sygate doesn't seem to be a giant resource hog; it is
also fairly easy to understand.

Thanks,
Billh

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro and use with RoadRunner?, Charlotte, NC, pcumming
    ... Having run various versions at different times, both alone and ... the other (can't recall which -- either Kerio/Tiny or Sygate), ... warned me that "another firewall has been detected and that it is not ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: XP Less Secure than 98 for Sharing Files
    ... Ever tried chasing up settings ... > that and/or your firewall supports it) or running with no firewall. ... If you have TCP/IP loaded at all, regardless of NetBEUI, and have Internet ...
  • Re: What does a firewall do?
    ... Users Guide and Quick Start Guide: ... Are these products (Sygate Personal ... > Firewall Pro & Sygate Personal Firewall) very expensive? ... > Security Policy Customization sounds good, but, in practice, who's going to ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: Know anything about this? - JAcheck.dll
    ... I believe your firewall is misconfigured, your antivirus is not set to ... Since you have Sygate installed, ... intrusion, I might also recommend a file change checker like the free SIM ... You might use Strings-type programs from ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: Which free Zone Alarm (4 or 5) uses less power?
    ... I have used the free version of Sygate with no problem on XP computers. ... The free version of Zone Alarm is fine, easier for most users, ... Personally I find the built in ICF firewall in XP to be very good for what ... > I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)