Re: a couple of questions from a newbie to this group

From: billh (NoMail_at_Post2Newsgroup.Pls)
Date: 04/01/04

Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 10:27:44 -0500

Now I, too, am looking to replace Norton's firewall. There are a lot of
nice features but I can't keep having my connection go partially or wholly
dead once every day or two. Sygate has their freebie Personal Firewall
( but it seems too crippled so you'll end up getting
their Pro version, anyway.

What do you consider to be crippled in the free version that should be
available for significantly safer operation?

I use freebie Sygate behind a Linksys router. I feel it (or the combination)
does a good job and Sygate doesn't seem to be a giant resource hog; it is
also fairly easy to understand.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro and use with RoadRunner?, Charlotte, NC, pcumming
    ... Having run various versions at different times, both alone and ... the other (can't recall which -- either Kerio/Tiny or Sygate), ... warned me that "another firewall has been detected and that it is not ...
  • Re: XP Less Secure than 98 for Sharing Files
    ... Ever tried chasing up settings ... > that and/or your firewall supports it) or running with no firewall. ... If you have TCP/IP loaded at all, regardless of NetBEUI, and have Internet ...
  • Re: What does a firewall do?
    ... Users Guide and Quick Start Guide: ... Are these products (Sygate Personal ... > Firewall Pro & Sygate Personal Firewall) very expensive? ... > Security Policy Customization sounds good, but, in practice, who's going to ...
  • Re: Know anything about this? - JAcheck.dll
    ... I believe your firewall is misconfigured, your antivirus is not set to ... Since you have Sygate installed, ... intrusion, I might also recommend a file change checker like the free SIM ... You might use Strings-type programs from ...
  • Re: Which free Zone Alarm (4 or 5) uses less power?
    ... I have used the free version of Sygate with no problem on XP computers. ... The free version of Zone Alarm is fine, easier for most users, ... Personally I find the built in ICF firewall in XP to be very good for what ... > I don't expect to need any Zone Alarm feature ...