Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.

From: Eve Warlow (evewarlow_at_ntlworld.com)
Date: 03/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:27:15 +0100

Thanks Susan, will do.

Eve

"Susan" <none@this.time> wrote in message
news:7CO9c.34465$nM4.27274@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:44:20 -0500, Eve Warlow wrote:
>
> > I have 3 computers at home, one running WXPPro, another W98 and the
> > thrid W95. Only W95, with a 2 GB hard drive is working properly!
> >
> > My XPPro won't let me connect to the internet at all, even though the
> > diagnostics say that the modem is there and all is OK! It is also
> > deathly slow in loading.
> >
> > The W98, which I am now using, having taken 6 attempts to start the
> > thing up at all, is even slower. When it finally goes on, I can connect,
> > but is is very slow to open most programs.
> >
> > I have AVG virus checker operating and it seems to be fine, finding
> > virus attachments and putting them in the Virus Vault automatically.
> >
> > Why is it so slow? And why does my state of the art XPPro refuse to find
> > the modem?
> >
> > Would appreciate any ideas on this. I've already replaced the original
> > modem as that was never right from the beginning on my XPPro either.
> >
> > Eve
> > UK
> >
> <snip>
>
> Eve:
>
> I agree with Colonel Flagg & zenner, this doesn't sound security related
> however, the connection issue is a textbook example of "flow control"
> misconfiguration. Usually(USA) it would be configured to "use flow
> control" and "Hardware(RTS/CTS)".
>
> On the win95 box peek at "Advanced Connection Settings" under "Modem
> Properties". Compare what's there with what's on the win98 & XP boxes.
> Make changes if necessary.
>
> The slow loading issue is anyone's guess atm.
>
> -- Susan
> sazy

---

  • Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.
    ... > diagnostics say that the modem is there and all is OK! ... > I have AVG virus checker operating and it seems to be fine, ... And why does my state of the art XPPro refuse to find the ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.
    ... > diagnostics say that the modem is there and all is OK! ... > virus attachments and putting them in the Virus Vault automatically. ... And why does my state of the art XPPro refuse to find ... the connection issue is a textbook example of "flow control" ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.
    ... Thanks Colonel, for your unusual and ever-so-helpful suggestion! ... the XPPro, although it's fairly new and I probably shouldn't have had to ... >> diagnostics say that the modem is there and all is OK! ... >> I have AVG virus checker operating and it seems to be fine, ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • modem losies sync with computer
    ... hi guys lets c if you can solve this one coz the blokes at EVE and Demon have ... when i go online my modem loses sync with my comp witch means that im ... when im just online. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.
    ... You can check the Microsoft site to see if your modem is on the ... And why does my state of the art XPPro refuse to find ... > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. ...
    (alt.computer.security)