Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.

From: Eve Warlow (evewarlow_at_ntlworld.com)
Date: 03/29/04

Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:03:06 +0100

Thanks Colonel, for your unusual and ever-so-helpful suggestion!

I've already taken it to two people - paid for new modems/floppy drives on
the XPPro, although it's fairly new and I probably shouldn't have had to
pay. Was too embarrassed to bother the original seller (who lives several
hundred miles away from me, so it's not exactly round the corner to pop
around ever day), and anyway he had already replaced the XPPro version with
W ME and then changed it back. Now I can't re-install XPPro or ME for some
reason.

Was under the impression, misguided obviously, that most people like myself
asking for advice on computer problems at the newsgroups were trying to
avoid leaving their useless piece of junk to a repairer for half the year!

Wrong again!

Tchhh...tchhh. Silly me.

Eve

P.S. It may well be a Spyware issue. So, hi ho, hi ho, back to the shop I
go!

"Colonel Flagg" <colonel_flagg@NOSOUPFORJ00internetwarzone.org> wrote in
message news:MPG.1ad11e425ea91ff8989d37@news.charter.net...
> In article <CGH9c.55$j15.2@newsfe2-gui.server.ntli.net>,
> evewarlow@ntlworld.com says...
> > I have 3 computers at home, one running WXPPro, another W98 and the
thrid
> > W95. Only W95, with a 2 GB hard drive is working properly!
> >
> > My XPPro won't let me connect to the internet at all, even though the
> > diagnostics say that the modem is there and all is OK! It is also
deathly
> > slow in loading.
> >
> > The W98, which I am now using, having taken 6 attempts to start the
thing up
> > at all, is even slower. When it finally goes on, I can connect, but is
is
> > very slow to open most programs.
> >
> > I have AVG virus checker operating and it seems to be fine, finding
virus
> > attachments and putting them in the Virus Vault automatically.
> >
> > Why is it so slow? And why does my state of the art XPPro refuse to find
the
> > modem?
> >
> > Would appreciate any ideas on this. I've already replaced the original
modem
> > as that was never right from the beginning on my XPPro either.
> >
> > Eve
> > UK
> >

> I am doubtful this is computer security related, although there's a slim
> chance it's a spyware issue.
>
> try taking your machine to a repair shop and actually PAY someone to fix
> it, that's how he/she makes their living.
>

> --
> Colonel Flagg
> http://www.internetwarzone.org/
>
> Privacy at a click:
> http://www.cotse.net
>
> Q: How many Bill Gates does it take to change a lightbulb?
> A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."
>
> "...I see stupid people."

---

  • Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.
    ... Eve ... >> diagnostics say that the modem is there and all is OK! ... >> virus attachments and putting them in the Virus Vault automatically. ... And why does my state of the art XPPro refuse to find ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.
    ... > diagnostics say that the modem is there and all is OK! ... > I have AVG virus checker operating and it seems to be fine, ... And why does my state of the art XPPro refuse to find the ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Help! Computers slow and modem not working.
    ... > diagnostics say that the modem is there and all is OK! ... > virus attachments and putting them in the Virus Vault automatically. ... And why does my state of the art XPPro refuse to find ... the connection issue is a textbook example of "flow control" ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: administrator login winxp
    ... XPpro or XPhome?? ... In XPhome, only way is to boot to SafeMode, I think logs on directly as ... >> System Restore on all disks". ... Reboot>> Now you can enable SysRestore again, the virus is gone..... ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Windows XP pro keeps rebooting
    ... Idon't think it's a virus. ... no viruses.My friend is an IT manager and can't work out ... why XPpro is continually rebooting. ...