Re: Abtrusion - Anyone use this?

From: Kerodo (kerodo~nospam~kenny_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 03/26/04

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 03:59:04 GMT

"*Vanguard*" <no-email@post-reply-in-newsgroup.invalid> wrote in
news:WfSdnSf2JvMBNf7d4p2dnA@comcast.com:

> "Kerodo" said in news:Xns94B7BCA2A7D39kerodokenny@68.6.19.6:
>>
>> Looks very interesting. I would think that your software firewall
>> would do at least partially the same thing though, but maybe this
>> program does a much better job? I think I'll try it out and see how
>> it goes...
>
> A firewall will only detect or block processes that attempt to make a
> connection past it. It does nothing to keep rogue programs from
> running on your computer, like formatting your disk, deleting registry
> entries, deleting files, spying, redirecting you to a different site
> (which is done BEFORE the connection is made), and so on. Firewalls
> are handy in managing who gets to connect in and out, not specially
> what runs on your system.
>
> What intrigues me is the claim that a computer thus protected (with
> Abtrusion or System Safety Net, or whatever the other one is called)
> is [more] immune against viral infection simply because the infected
> file won't be allowed to run. It's somewhat the same tact taken by
> SpywareBlaster: it doesn't stop the crap from getting onto your system
> but it prevents it from executing.

Yep, I realized this about the firewall after I posted.. I think I might
try out that other program, SSM, that the other person mentioned too. It
looks similar, but with some different features. Warning though... their
web site is outrageously slow. Took 10 or 15 minutes to download a small
file and I have a cable connection.

Abtrusion looks good, but I'm wondering if it might not be more annoying
than it's worth after a while. I'm always downloading updates to programs,
on a daily basis sometimes as I'm installing the nightly Mozilla and
Firefox updates constantly. So it might become annoying when Abtrusion
stops me all the time to verify a new program.

Another thing that might be annoying is if it significantly increases the
load time of apps. I'm only running on a 1 gig processor here, so
increasing the load time of apps would be slighly irritating.

But I think I'll try them both anyway. What the heck...

--
Kerodo

Relevant Pages

  • Re: I am having connectivity problems
    ... firewall and turned ON Windows firewall. ... When I tried to install SP2 I was unable to get it thru Windows Update. ... does the connection problem persist? ...
  • Re: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2s Firewall
    ... Subject: AW: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2's Firewall ... If you update a WinXP SP-1 with enabled Internet ... Connection Firewall ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • RE: Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2s Firewall
    ... file and printer sharing is available for network login from any network (I ... Internet Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled." ... Serious Security Issue in Windows XP SP2's Firewall ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: Still cant connect to RWW or OWA remotely
    ... No, I don't have a 3rd party firewall, and it's a pretty plain vanilla WinXP ... Connected to the network like the other workstations, ... I could go to any workstation and connect to them just fine. ... match the broadband connection, the two NIC firewall, the remote ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Big hole??
    ... > firewall then even they can't get in, ... > supposedly safe SP2 for Windows XP invites any Internet ... > Connection Sharing of the PC has to be disabled. ... > in fact is a common configuration and not a rare sight. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)