Re: New or old threat?

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 03/19/04

    Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:12:11 -0000

    news:<4059c607.2223703@news.la.sbcglobal.net>...
    > > I just started receiving apparent spams that look like authentic logon
    > > screens for various financial institutions like PayPal and Wells
    > > Fargo. The messages want me to log on and "check" my account
    > > information.
    >
    > These are phish scams looking for people who will follow the links and
    > put in real information. The scam sites look just like the real ones,
    > in most cases they are copies of the real sites. But the end result
    > is identity theft.
    >
    > Please report these to your local authority and to the scammed
    > companies (Wells and PayPal both want copies for evidence).

    TBH, while I've received more than a few of these, exactly none of them have
    tried to use that exploit.

    The "better" ones use a genuine HTML/plain text combination, with just one
    HTML link changed. The plain text version of the message (all that I
    actually see) looks entirely genuine. As expected, the headers don't match
    what they should..

    --
    Hairy One Kenobi
    in the first place. So there!