Re: Is this a new trend?

From: Hairy One Kenobi (abuse_at_[127.0.0.1)
Date: 03/15/04

Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 08:22:29 -0000

"Jim Watt" <jimwatt@aol.no_way> wrote in message
news:pgo950hb4g1o777m5lfq3img5on3u6uhur@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:17:51 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.com> wrote:

<assorted snippage>

> >I've seen hundreds of systems where the ignorant didn't have AV software
> >and in almost every case in the last two years their machines were
> >infected or had loggers/drone software installed on them (for machines
> >that were used with internet activity).
>
> Many people who do install av software do not update it and its
> next to worthless.

True.

> >People that don't run AV software hurt the rest of us without knowing
> >they are - decreased public performance, increased spam, increase attack
> >drones, etc.....
>
> Not if they have good perimeter defences. The problem today is
> malicious email attachments, stop them and there is no need
> to run AV software.

False.

> Well this machine does not have any AV software sucking its
> resources, and it does not have any problems.
>
> Yes there are circumsances where its a reasonable precaution
> but the heyday of AV software in its current incarnation is over.

Having advocated this, how would you feel if you loaded some software from a
purchased CD and potentially compromised your whole network?

Would you say "aw shucks" [whatever that means!] and shut down your business
for a day or two, or start making calls to the CD's publisher/retailer to
discuss liability?

Now turn that around to when /you/ send out something with said virus, macro
or otherwise...

I fully agree that Perimeter Defence is the way to go, but they don't stop
everything. By definition.

Assuming that a large organization (say 60k desktops - I'm thinking of a
Real Life (tm) example) has been penetrated by a new virus, undetectable to
its perimeter scan, where would you start in even estimating the impact, let
alone cleaning it up?

--
Hairy One Kenobi
in the first place. So there!