Re: [Possibly OT] Building a Secure room.

From: Bill Unruh (
Date: 03/12/04

    Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 22:34:56 +0000 (UTC)

    Phil M. <bonsaikitty{AT}> writes:

    ]I hope this is not too off topic...
    ]One of my clients would like to have a secured communications room. This
    ]includes an encrypted phone, a computer (with SE Linux and appropriate
    ]measures), fiber optic network with gas pressurized conduits, and some
    ]misc items (files boxes etc.). These criteria I can satisfy. What I would
    ]like assistance with would be the actually construction of this room. What
    ]methods are good for sound proofing a room? What kind of shielding would
    ]prevent RF interferences from entering or escaping this room? The client
    ]would like all precautions to be taken even if it seems unlikely that
    ]any particular method(s) would be used. Yes my client DOES seem a bit of
    ]a kook, but his money is just as green. Any suggestions, standards, etc.,
    ]would be very appreciated. Thank you for your time.

    ]Phil M. <bonsaikitty{at}>

    Depends on the sort of attacks. Eb, you could go all the way to
    installing his own electrical generator, since the amount of power
    entering the room could be used to get info on what is happening in
    Certainly you need filters on all the lines in and out, and need a well
    shielded room (eg 1/4 inch copper plates covering absolutely every part
    of the room, with copper pipes taking lines in and out and with
    shielding on all of those lines. Those copper plates, backed by foam
    would also help sound isolating the room. Note you would have to be
    careful to make sure that the plates are not fastened to the walls, as
    those would provide a sound conduit. Additional layers of lead-foam
    would also help the sound isolation.