Re: Stolen data by harddisk recovery?

From: Sam Witch (s.witch--stuff--_at_gawab.com)
Date: 03/11/04

Date: 11 Mar 2004 20:39:37 GMT

>> don't do that, put them in the microwave for a few seconds.
>>
>> It also works well aith AOL disks.
>
> Yea, but it's more fun to see all the media flecks fly all over the
> place when I break them - I always score them so it's easy to break
> them. I don't trust anything but Physical destruction.

I read somewhere, that government security departments have magnetic media
destroyed in a fire, witnessed, as electron tunneling microscopes may work
on fragments of the media and recover data based on the changes in the
microscopic magnetic field from an original clean layout, even when data
has been overwritten.
Some research on atom-resolution (sub-2A point to point) indicates single
atoms can be viewed and recognised.

have a look at http://www.ibas.no/ Quote "Ibas is one of the world's
leading companies in Data Recovery, Data Erasure and Computer Forensics".

forensics white paper
http://www.ibasuk.com/computerforensics/CF_white_paper.pdf

hope this helps.

  • Re: Stolen data by harddisk recovery?
    ... >just smashing the media into several pieces.... ... I really don't think anyone is going to recover data from a CD ... through the cross cut shredder, burn the result, crush the ash ... But otherwise the microwave is fast and does a wonderful ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Need to read a TK50 tape
    ... appears to be a TK50 tape. ... We don't have any machines left to read ... specializes in recovering data from old/weird media; he keeps an amazing collection of old hardware and software used both to recover data from strange media and to recover data in strange formats. ...
    (comp.os.vms)